Skip to content

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Includes Expert Content
Prozac Related Question/Help me Dr Goldberg!!
mhagen734 posted:
Dr Goldberg,
I was hoping you could help me with something. The past two years I had been taking Prozac, 40mg a day. A few months ago I was taken off of it, due to the fact my metabolism came to a screeching halt and I gained 30 pounds. My doctor switched me to Wellbutrin. I use to be able to lose weight so easily, and I have always been a healthy weight, until I was prescribed Prozac. Never understood weight gain as a common side effect of anti depressants, because it has made me miserable gaining this weight. Any who, how long would it be for me to stop experiencing these side effects? How long until my metabolism gets back to normal and I can lose weight again? Ive been dieting and exercising and its upsetting how hard I work for next to nothing. Is there any way to flush the medication out? Ugh I just want some sort of hope that I wont have to deal with this forever.
-Melissa

Joseph F Goldberg, MD responded:
Dear Melissa,

Prozac, and all SSRIs, can have variable effects on weight; some people lose, some gain, some have no effect. Assuming there are no other medicines besides Prozac or Wellbutrin in the picture that can be contributing to weight gain (e.g., most mood stabilizers) and your thyroid is normal and there is no alcohol in the picture and you are making healthy food choices (met with a nutritionist?) and are following an exercise program, you ought to be able to lose a target of 1 pound per week off of the Prozac, if in fact it was the culprit. Wellbutrin was originally developed as a weight loss drug and should not be an offender.

Dr. G.

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

Kee pyour head up
Don't let this illness bring you down. Always keep you head to the sky because someone is watching you and I. Sometimes this illness can ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.