Skip to content

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
work update
ddnos posted:
Hi everyone,

Just thought I'd share a bit of what has been going on for me the past couple months or so.

First, you may remember a few months ago when I went to DVR (Division of Vocational Rehabilitation) for the purpose of getting help to get back to work. The first appt ended up being my first and last because it was clear to the case worker and myselef that I wasns't ready to go back. She said that when I could volunteer 15-20 hrs per week with good attendance, to contact her and we could start all over.

So about a week ago when I was thinking, I realized that for me, that stradegy would not work. I was not one who could transition from volunteer work to employment because of my personality and my lack of inner motivation in certain areas. I have been like that all my life - it's who I am.

So I emailed my case worker and explained to her that the reason volunteering doesn't work for me as a stepping stone for employment is because it requires internal motivation and drive. I have no outside "carrot" making me go and stay I could come and go as I pleased and would end up not going at all, which is what happend at the place I was trying volunteer at. When it comes to external motivation; I'm loyal, devoted, hard working, and on time! The external motivation for me with a job is not just a paycheck, though that is part of it, but it's also consequences for if my attendance is bad or my work is substandard, etc. I can be the hardest worker when external motivation is leading me.

Anyway, I continued on with the letter and spelled out in detail what I want and don't want (what will work and won't work for me) - these are things that I know DVR can do for me. I reminded her of my extreme pre-employment fears and how I needed more one-on-one help (as also was recommended for me by a Neuropsychologist)

The following day I got a reply from her and agreed to let me re-apply for DVR services and have her still be my case worker. Reapplying is just procedure - I will/do qualify. So I have an appt with her (Mary) on the 10th of Oct to start over. I told her that my goal in coming in for help was to get a part time job sometime within 1 year of when we start. I decided that I want to work part time as I'm not ready for full time and that may be the case from here on out. With working part time and keeping my gross within a certain amount, I will get to keep all my disability benefits and get the paycheck. That will make things much easier for me financially.

I'm scared, but I need to work, so I'm going to let Mary help me. I told her to expect me to be stubborn at times due to fear and that I may be slow sometimes due to my dyslexia, but I am a hard worker. She's Ok with that.

Thanks for listening
Debbie
Forgiveness is letting go of the hope that the past could have been any different --Unknown

mattthecat responded:
Debbie,

So glad you're taking this major step. Matt and I fought for forever over me getting a part time job. I finally gave in and agreed to do it about a month and a half again. Now he wants to wait till January so we have a better idea of what our fiances actually are. We've had some tight months but so far we've been able to make all our bills. I've even had some left over a few times. So I'm very proud of your for taking this major step in your life. Good luck and God bless.

jessica

slik_kitty responded:
good luck. i hope you get something soon.

beej5 responded:
I wish you the best of luck in finding a job. I understand the challenges that will be ahead of you.

beej

ddnos replied to mattthecat's response:
Thank you Jessica, and good luck to you when your time comes!

Debbie
Forgiveness is letting go of the hope that the past could have been any different --Unknown

ddnos replied to slik_kitty's response:
THanks Kitty - let's just hope not TOO soon. lol But more than that, I hope I find something that I end up liking; I'm not one who can work just anywhere -I have to love my job.

Hugs
Debbie

ddnos replied to beej5's response:
Thanks beej, I appreciate your thoughts. I'm trying to not look at the challenges ahead lest I chicken out.

Debbie

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

NSAIDS and lithiumExpert
Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (eg, Motrin/ibuprofen, Advil, Naprosyn) raise lithium levels by about 20%. We often therefore say ... More
Was this Helpful?
69 of 92 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.