Skip to content

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Includes Expert Content
Dr. G or anyone - overdose lithium
lotus posted:
I have overdosed on lithium at least 5 times. I don't rember the toxic levels but I had to be hospitalized each time. One time I don't remeber being taken to the hospital The last time was 3 years ago. I am no longer on lithium. My question is could there be a long term effect from this and what would that be.
Thanks Donna

Joseph F Goldberg, MD responded:
Dear Lotus,

Lithium overdoses can cause long-term or permanent kidney damage and long-term or permanent cognitive damage. Presumably your doctor monitors your kidney function and cognition (memory, attention, organization, etc.).

Dr. G.

lotus replied to Joseph F Goldberg, MD's response:
My renal function is normal. I am having some cognitive problems recently (haven't seen my pdoc since problem started) Would these problem occur so many years after the overdoses?

Joseph F Goldberg, MD replied to lotus's response:
Dear lotus,

Cognitive problems can be part of the picture in bipolar disorder, unrelated to medicines. About a third of people with bipolar I disorder have trouble with attention, verbal memory, or executive functioning (information processing, planning, organizing). Cognitive problems caused by lithium toxicity usually happen immediately after the toxicity, and may persist...unlikely to arise years later for the first time as a consequence of prior lithium.

Dr. G.

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

NSAIDS and lithiumExpert
Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (eg, Motrin/ibuprofen, Advil, Naprosyn) raise lithium levels by about 20%. We often therefore say ... More
Was this Helpful?
69 of 92 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.