Skip to content

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Klonopin & Ativan
sandtiger posted:
Has anyone here taken both, not together but at separate times? If so, which one was worse?

My doc keeps prescribing me Klonopin which I'm a zombie on, but when I come off of it I have anxiety (mostly due to work, long story), so he puts me back on and I'm a zombie again. I've complained of this multiple times, told him its affecting everything from my home-life, my ability to wake up in the morning, to stay awake during the day, and do my duties at work.

I thought he was lowering the dose when he put me on Geodon but he didn't. Recently I managed to get him to half the dose I'm taking, but its still drugging me up.

If no one has taken both at separate times, can someone advise me on what being on Ativan is like? I keep hearing it more and more often and my stepdad, who's terminally ill, was recently put on it to keep his anxiety down and keep him from putting stress on his heart.

Thanks,
~ San
:: Living is more than just being alive - Anberlin ::

CanadianDyanne responded:
Hiya San,

I cant speak to your exact question, but I can attest that ativan is some goooooood stuff. I have only be on it at temporary times tho.

good luck!

sandtiger replied to CanadianDyanne's response:
Lol... define "goooooood stuff"?

Did it make you loopy? Sleepy? Just get rid of the anxiety and nothing more?

~ San

CanadianDyanne replied to sandtiger's response:
If gave me the and I dont give a shoot! no not sleepy but I have heard that depends on the dosage. For me personally, relaxed yet still capable of thinking.

DizzyJgirl responded:
San, I have been on both for anxiety.

Klonopin, I was on for awhile. To be completely honest, I dont' remember now why I stopped it. I think it made me tired. I took that everyday as part of my regular mix of daily meds.

Then I was on risperdal (every day also) and that worked very well for my anxiety but I had side effects from it that I couldn't deal with (it gave me skin problems and nobody can tell me otherwise...I don't care if it is a listed side effect or not).

Then I went on Wellbutrin and that seems to help my anxiety (not completely, but makes it managable). But I was having problems with panic attacks. My pdoc put me on Serax (as needed) which is a benzo like Xanax and Ativan. The problem with that is that I would have a panic attack, take it and 2 hours later, I would feel something from it (which is it would put me to sleep). When I ran out of ambien, I used the serax as a sleep aid (my pdoc didn't like that) So...to make a long story short...I am now on Ativan for my panic attacks. My pdoc will only give me a few at a time. If I take it, 30-45 minutes later I am asleep. End of story. So, if I have a panic attack during the day when I need to do something, I can't take it (this is a very low dose too. .5 or 1mg).

My pdoc says that all of these meds (the benzos) do make you tired and that is just the way it is. Like any med, it effects people differently I guess.

My son takes propranalol for anxiety. It is a beta blocker and is used for anxiety. He also has ativan for panic attacks. His dr will also only give him a few ativan at a time. My son hates taking meds and currently isn't taking anything but in the past, this combo has helped him. The ativan does the same to him as it does to me...just puts him to sleep. He says the propranalol helps but I am not sure exactly how it effects him.

I completely understand how it is to be a zombie like that. It is scary to think about but I remember driving and fighting to stay awake with some of the meds I have been on. You have a job and a child and need to be able to function and be safe. Take care!
Live Life Loud

sandtiger responded:
THank you, everyone!

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

new
hello everyone.. new to this..hope to talk to others who knows how it is having bipolar. More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.