Skip to content

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
What to expect from your pdoc
lotus posted:
I have been living in the phoenix az area for four years. The first 2 pdocs were horrific and didn't stayed with them very long. The third pdoc was pretty good, could talk to him, treatment was good. He "fired" me when I was admitted to a psych ward. No explantation. I guess he does't take care of real mentally ill patients. I was really hurt and scared. I have had my present pdoc for the past 2 years. He is easy to talk to, he really cares, and I guess his rx tx has been ok. At least he hasn't fired me when I got admitted. The thing I hate is that it is impossible if something comes up before your next appt (which is every two weeks) it seems like you are on your own. I did get my seroquel dose increased over the phone once. It is impossible to get an early appt. because he is so booked up. Is this the way it is in phoenix? I had much better experience with my pdoc in Oregon.

sandtiger responded:
I've had similar issues down here where I am, in South Carolina, but with tdocs. I can never seem to find a good one, they either don't listen, or talk too much, or just cost too much.

I was calling around and one of the questions from a new potential one was, had I been admitted in the past year? My answer was yes and it was an immediate 'we can't see you'. How ridiculous was that? Logically from a medical point of view I can see that they don't want to have liability if something happens to you ... but isn't that the whole point of seeking treatment? So that you can get away from the necessity of BEING admitted?

I wish I could help with your actual situation regarding a pdoc ... the only thing I can suggest is 1> find a good help-line you can call, because sometimes all we need is to feel like someone is listening, and 2> see if you can get his email address and contact him that way.

With my doc, I can email him in between appointments, so long as I don't overdo it, and he can make minor changes and/or adjustments to my meds that way, or if its obvious I need to come in like NOW, he can look at his schedule, make some changes, and work me in.

Hope this helps, luvs,
~ San
:: Living is more than just being alive - Anberlin ::

bpcookie responded:
I've had my share of bad ones as well. I have a great one now. Phx is just too over populated. There just isn't enough pdocs here. Yup, I am saying that everyone in Phx is crazy. We would have to be in order to live in such a hot area. hehehe

Even some family Dr.s are over booked. I've had to go to urgent care a few times, just because my family Dr. couldn't get me in THAT day. uuuggghh Way too many ppl here and not enough Dr.s

Even though I have a great pdoc, I got really lucky. He was new to the area so I was able to snag him right away. He is such a sweet heart and so very understanding. He even lets me bring my dog to my apts. He knows that I have chronic pain and when I can't make it to my apt., he will call me. I haven't seen him face to face for 6 months because the last three apts were over the phone.

btw, you have pdoc apts every 2 weeks?. Mine is every 2 months. I would go nuts if I had to go every 2 weeks. I HATE Dr. apts. of any kind. lol
The world is round and the place which may seem like the end may also be only the beginning. ~Ivy Baker Priest

lotus replied to bpcookie's response:
I made a big mistake!! It is every 2 months. I agree, every 2 weeks would be crazy. lol. Sometimes I need a adjustment sooner and have to suffer through it until I see him. I don' have access to email him. I did on my 3rd pdoc. I did like the ability to do this. I have a great pcp. Are you allow to share the info on your pdoc on this board?

bpcookie replied to lotus's response:
I believe that it is against board policy to share Dr.s names, if thats what your asking.
The world is round and the place which may seem like the end may also be only the beginning. ~Ivy Baker Priest

ddnos replied to lotus's response:
Hi Lotus,

I understand that you aren't able to email your pdoc, but won't he let you call if you need either a med adjustment or you simply need to see him sooner than the 2 months? Most pdocs will see you before the 2 months if they have space available and you need to see him/her. Have you talked with your pdoc about what you can do if you need to either see him before the 2 months or may need a med adjustment? I would definiately talk with him about that the next time you see him (if you haven't already).

Best of luck
Debbie
Forgiveness is letting go of the hope that the past could have been any different --Unknown

lotus replied to ddnos's response:
Thanks for everyone input. I have an appt with my pdoc on Mon. I am going to ask him straight what am I suppose to do inbetween appts. I will let yo all know.

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

Screen out people who can't seem to "get it"....
There are some people who can't or won't understand at all. My wife is bipolar, and some people are more understanding than others. We ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 40 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.