Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Includes Expert Content
Lamictal
healthynut28 posted:
Has anyone heard that Lamictal can cause a form of meningitis? I realize that this is probably one of those rare side effects that does occasionally happen. I read on another page concerning bi-polar that it could but wanted to see if anyone has heard of this I would rather have concrete evidence for my concerns and not just freak myself out and quit taking the Lamictal on my own. I will be discussing this with my doctor but was just wondering if anyone has heard this or had any dealings with it.

bpcookie responded:
I've taken Lamictal for a very long time and I've never had any bad side effect. I bet Dr. G can answer your question.

Good luck to you
The world is round and the place which may seem like the end may also be only the beginning. ~Ivy Baker Priest

Joseph F Goldberg, MD responded:
Dear healthynut28,

There have been about 40 reported cases of aseptic meningitis during initiation of treatment with lamotrigine, all occurring in about the first 40 days of starting treatment (average is about 2 weeks into starting). It is thought to be a type of hypersensitivity reaction. If someone begins lamotrigine and soon thereafter develops a fever, stiff neck, nausea and malaise, they should contact their doctor to be evaluated for possible meningitis.

Dr. G.

healthynut28 replied to Joseph F Goldberg, MD's response:
Thank you all for the information the only thing I really experience is nausea all day. It just feel like I'm going to lose whatever I ate. I am well past 40 days and nothing out of the ordinary has happend but I feel better knowing the side effects to look out for. Thanks again for the information.

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

TO DROP MY WEIGHT, I DROPPED THE DIET SOFT DRINKS.
Been on Zonegran for about five years and a type II diabetic for 35 years using metaformin and insulin. It appears the jury is in for me on ... More
Was this Helpful?
6 of 10 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.