Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Includes Expert Content
abilify v seroquel
abby123 posted:
I just took Abilify for 7 weeks and had every side effect - the restlessness was intolerable. Now, my doctor wants me on Seroquel xr. I do feel the depression lifted with the Abilify. What are the diff. bet. AAbilify and Seroquel?

Joseph F Goldberg, MD responded:
Dear Abby123,

Abilify was shown in 2 randomized trials to be the same as a placebo for bipolar depression, but can treat mania or psychosis. It has a somewhat high potential for causing dose-related akathisia (restlessness). Seroquel is FDA approved as an antidepressant for bipolar depression and as an add-on to traditional antidepressants for unipolar depression. Seroquel also treats psychosis and mania, similar to Abilify. It has a higher likelihood of causing sedation and weight gain than Abilify. Both drugs also can raise blood sugar and cholesterol, which needs to be monitored periodically.

Dr. G.

abby123 replied to Joseph F Goldberg, MD's response:
Dear Dr. G. It appears that I have been diagnosed incorrectly and after 14 years with the same psychiatrist board certified at NYU. Now I consider my situation very serious indeed. I am not sure of the next step for me?

Joseph F Goldberg, MD replied to abby123's response:
Dear Abby123,

Treatment decisions depend on many factors. How is your doctor summarizing for you the nature of the current problem, and what recommendations is he or she making?

Dr. G.

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

NSAIDS and lithiumExpert
Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (eg, Motrin/ibuprofen, Advil, Naprosyn) raise lithium levels by about 20%. We often therefore say ... More
Was this Helpful?
67 of 90 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.