Skip to content

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Includes Expert Content
Dr. G...Light Therapy
DizzyJgirl posted:
What are your feelings about using Light Therapy in bipolar people? I was interested in trying this to get me through the winter but read that bipolar people maybe shouldn't use them because it could make them manic? Though truthfully, the idea of mania seems better than depression.

I did talk to my pdoc about my depression but as usual, it comes down to my situation and more therapy was suggested.

Thanks!
Live Life Loud

Joseph F Goldberg, MD responded:
Dear DizzyJGirl, In people who clearly have a seasonal pattern to recurrent depression, whether unipolar or bipolar, light therapy for half an hour each morning during fall/winter might be helpful. I know of no controlled studies showing that light therapy poses a greater risk for inducing mania than any other known treatment for depression. Dr. G.

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

Screen out people who can't seem to "get it"....
There are some people who can't or won't understand at all. My wife is bipolar, and some people are more understanding than others. We ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 40 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.