Skip to content


Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Is professional help needed?
monkeybee posted:
I was diagnosed with BP at 15. In hindsight, I was a poster child, but I never belieived it and stopped taking meds at about 20. Now, I'm almost 30 and for the last 6 months have been June I was extremely delusional and was having numerous hallucinations during a manic episode (the hallucinations have come and gone until just last month). I probably should have been hospitalized. I am now seemingly better. I don't know if the last 10 years I've REALLY been fine (I know I've had bouts w/serious depressions) or just pretended, or maybe they weren't as bad as they were when I was young or (especially) now. My questions: can it be managed without meds in the future? Should I expect it will get worse? Should I go to a psychiatrist, even if I'm not currently symptomatic? What are the repercussions if I don't? What if my family has private insurance and I'm not sure if it covers mental illnesses? Help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!
ibex7 responded:
WebMD offers a questionaire which can help reveal behaviors that suggest illness of depression. Check elsewhere on the WebMD Homepage for help.
Very often emotional illnesses are cyclical and mood changes may be diagnostic. I think you should see a psychiatric professional to discuss your symptoms. The first visit will not have a big fee and can set your mind at ease, or reveal the pathway to mental health. Best wishes.

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

NSAIDS and lithiumExpert
Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (eg, Motrin/ibuprofen, Advil, Naprosyn) raise lithium levels by about 20%. We often therefore say ... More
Was this Helpful?
73 of 97 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.