Skip to content

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Bipolar
jjem4 posted:
I've been married for almost 22 years, we have 4 children together. My life with him has always had it's ups and downs, but mostly downs. His never been physically abusive to me or the kids, for 15 years he drank heavily and got arrested 3 times, the last time was 6 years ago and according to him he hasn't drank, he attended AA meetings, not sure if his attending now, since he moved out of the house in Aug. His reason was that he was going to try to make more money so we can live well, so far I haven't seen any of that money, in fact right now we're in so much debt. I know for a fact that he buys things on impulse, some stuff he never has use for it. Early in the year he moved out of the house, telling me that he need to by by himself, a day after he moved out he had a minor accident, within 3 weeks he has back home, but I definately saw a change in his mood. He would be full of life making plans and then he would get depressed, in fact he took meds for his depression, but that didn't help. His memory is very poor, he tells me the only way he understands what I'm telling him is if I'm looking at him directly, but if his looking sideways he has not clue what I'm telling him. a month after he left he came home with all this plans about coming back home and just doing thigs different, within 3 weeks of that he changed his mind and went back to his original plan of being out there trying to make more money. a week after that he come over and he looked for sad. He came over again last night and he seems more clam, but with no plans. I've been doing lots of reading on manic depression and I think he has all the symptoms. most of the time he sleeps very little and he has very poor money management that we've been in very difficult situations. At this point I feel like I'm also loosing my mind. He knows his not well, but doesn't know exactly what it is and until now I didn't know myself. I haven't had a chance to talk to him about what I've been reading, maybe because I don't know what his reaction is going to be. Please I need professional advice on this

mattthecat responded:
jjem4 welcome to the board. I have a wife and other family who have bipolar disorder your discription does sound like bipolar disorder.I am not a medical proffesionall. If it is proffesional help you are looking for then try a group called NAMI (www.nami.org ). They are set up sort of like AA and have suport meetings for family members as well. There local chapters are made up of mostly voulenters if they do not have the proffesoinal advice you are looking for they can most likley point you in the right direction. Hope this helps.

Matt

slik_kitty responded:
he needs to see a psychiatrist. so unless he sees he has a problem and goes to a doc, then there is really nothing you can do about it.

mattthecat replied to slik_kitty's response:
slik_kitty I agree with you he needs proffesional help. He needs to see a psychiatrist. There is nothing stopping jjem4 from getting infromation on psychiatrists in there area that might be able to help her husband if she can convince him to get help.
I my self already new / did research on a mental health clinic in our area that would help my wife (gilfreind at the time) her with her limited resources if I could convince her to get help. I was able to convince her to get a dignoses and I believe it is because I did all of the foot work for her all she had to do is set up an apointment and keep it. If jjem4s husband does not want help she can not force him but she can get information to give him when he is ready to hear it. just my thought on the matter.

Matt

jjem4 replied to mattthecat's response:
Thank you matthecat.. and yes that's exactly what I'm doing all the foot work.. I did have a chance to talk to my husband on Fri and even though he didn't understand most of the thngs that I was telling him, he did agree to see a psyciatrist.. I just hope and pray to GOD he doesn't change his mind and lets me help him.. Thank you again for your advice and God bless you.

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

Differentiating bipolar disorder from borderline personality disorderExpert
Borderline personality disorder is a condition in which people can very easily become angry and upset in response to stresses -- especially ... More
Was this Helpful?
112 of 129 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.