Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

    *No Dr Outside Contact Please*
    I'm going completely CRAZY!
    amylourou posted:
    I could really use some advice right now. I'm Bi-Polar with GAD and OCD. I keep myself locked up in my bedroom most of the time until I get really bad, then I hide in my shower stall. I feel like I need to be hospitalized! I tried to call Parkside Psychiatric in Tulsa but they can't get me in until the 15th of Nov. and I don't honestly think I can make it that long. I can't live like this! I talked to a lady at Hilcrest hospital but they won't take you unless your suicidal! I have 3 kids so even when I think about ending it all, I just remember them and my feelings go away. But what kind of mom hides from life everyday? And I'm usually either crying my head of or having a panic attack the size of Texas! Where can I go to get help now!!! Any advice would be greatly appreciated because I have no where else to turn!!
    bpcookie responded:
    Hello AmyLou, Do you take medication for Bipolar and an anxiety? How long have you been going through all of this? Do you know what the reason why you want to hide? (trigger)Were you sexually abused in any way?

    The issues that your having can be fixed. So suicide is most def. NOT the answer. Try to stay strong for your children. I was suicidal once and it was the thought of my daughter that kept me alive.

    Try to remember that this will get better.
    You may go through life hearing a 1000 NO's but don't give up because your YES is out there waiting for you.- (Something my father told me.)
    SCauthor responded:
    It sounds like you need help immediately.
    If the psychiatrist is unavailable, go to your family physician and tell him the problem. Although he cannot offer the counseling of a psychiatrist, he can prescribe treatment, such as antidepressants and mood stabilizers that will help until you can get to a psychiatrist.

    I had a long bout of depression after a severe manic episode that lasted almost five years. What turned everything around was going to my family doctor and getting him to double my depression medication.

    Avoid blaming yourself for "hiding from life." Mental illness can be as debilitating as any physical illness and feeling guilty can just make everything worse. Fortunately,bipolar disorder is treatable. Good luck!

    Featuring Experts

    Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

    Helpful Tips

    NSAIDS and lithiumExpert
    Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (eg, Motrin/ibuprofen, Advil, Naprosyn) raise lithium levels by about 20%. We often therefore say ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    74 of 98 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.