Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Circadiam Rhythms
An_249015 posted:
I have ultra rapid cycling BPD 2. My psychiatrist is a nationally recognized expert in mood disorders who has done a great deal of research and I trust him. He has been focusing on adjusting my circadian rhythms and has put me on a very strict schedule where I have to go to sleep at the exact same time and wake at the same time every day including weekends, have a consistent schedule during the day, and in the evening sleep in complete darkness. I also have to turn the lights down before sleep to mimic daylight and not be on the computer or watch TV 2 hours before sleep. This all has to do with the pineal gland which is responsible for the body's circadian rhythm. TV's and computers emit blue light so I use yellow glasses that screen out the blue light. I know this sounds "woo woo" but I have read the research that correlates BPD with circadian rhythm irregularities and that adjusting the sleep wake cycles can stop rapid cycling. Is anyone else working on this approach? He says that he has seen remarkable changes.I have not had success with lamictal an a losing my hair in addition. He is starting me on seroquil which also worries me because of the risks of diabetes and weight gain.Any thoughts are appreciated.

lotus responded:
Hi I have no experience with what you are going through with such a strict schedule for your symptoms. I just wanted to acknowleged your post. You didn't mention when you started it and if you saw any resuls. You must be very special to devote the energy and determination it take to do this program. I hopes it helps. I do have experience with Seroquel and other meds in this class. I have been on them for the past 12 years. Seroquil for the 2 years. I didn't have any issues with diabetes with any of them and no weight issues with Seroquel. You will need to have labs to monitor your blood sugar. Also just watch to see a change your eating habits. Eating more or more snacking ect. I wish you the best.

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

NSAIDS and lithiumExpert
Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (eg, Motrin/ibuprofen, Advil, Naprosyn) raise lithium levels by about 20%. We often therefore say ... More
Was this Helpful?
67 of 90 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.