Skip to content

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Disappointed
lotus posted:
I thought this would different than other face to face support groups I have attended in the past. It is clickous and repeative with no growth. The same old stuff over and over again. Maybe it is my fault. I am desperately searching for something that will help me and there is no such thing. I wish you all the stability and peace with your bp.b

Take the Poll

Does dealing with your symptoms of BP get any easier. Is there any help in treating BP.
  • No
  • No way
  • Absolutely no
  • HELL NO
  • You must be totally insane if you think there is
vote
View Poll Results
FirstPrevious12NextLast

davedsel57 responded:
Lotus,

I'm afraid I have to agree with you about this particular online community. I've tried posting regularly and being an active member but it just did not work out for me. I read almost daily but do not post often at all anymore.

What I want to encourage you to do is find some real world support. I trust you are seeing the proper health care professionals that can help you with all your medical needs. Perhaps you can look into some type of group therapy. Mostly, do not rely on others first to heal you. That can come from within first and then with the help of others.

I was diagnosed in April 1998 after a stint in a local hospital psych ward. I was on 3 medications (serzone, ativan and depakote) to help with my bi-polar. After years of therapy and support from a loving family, it has gotten much better. I am currently taking no medications for my bi-polar and have learned to direct my energies properly when manic (for the most part) and work at not getting depressed. There IS hope if you look for it.

I pray you do find solutions to help you manage your condition.
Please click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

bpcookie responded:
Nothing wrong with this community. They have helped me a great deal and have always been here for me.

Dave, we have treated you with respect and kindness. You have no reason to complain about us.
You may go through life hearing a 1000 NO's but don't give up because your YES is out there waiting for you.- (Something my father told me.)

lotus replied to davedsel57's response:
Thanks Dave for the validation. My last 3 prior posts where every hard to do and very exposing of how I was feeling. I had no response. I was disappointed and it hurt not getting feedback. But they continue with the daily post of weather, sleep ect. and the information hardly changes. I will hope the members will learn from this and maybe change to help others. Dave I read your story. You have such a heavy load and remain positive. I will try to think of your statement "that healing comes from within first and then with the help of others.

bpcookie responded:
Not every single post gets responded to. If your expecting to get a response to all your *replies* then your not being realistic.

And this is EXACTLY why I don't meet strangers from the board.
You may go through life hearing a 1000 NO's but don't give up because your YES is out there waiting for you.- (Something my father told me.)

lotus replied to bpcookie's response:
Well I agree, I wouldn't want to meet you either. I would hope you would be a little less defensive of YOUR community. Take time and consider my concern and see if there any (if just a little) a way to improve. I didn't expect a response to all my post. It would have been nice if I got one. The community seem to consist of a few select people, I didn't find the daily post of the weather sleep and if you are going to dishes very helpful. It was so repetitive and nonproductive But that is just me. Don't worry, this is my last post. Carry on with your click.

cddarlyn replied to lotus's response:
You really needed a yes answer here for me it has... I have a great doctor and therapist. It took a while but the doctor has given me the combinations to change my meds when I start changing moods but I am bipolar II, mood swings don't happen too fast for me.

My first doctors would only let me change med doses under thier guidance...

Now that I know how to change my meds I can catch mood changes before the symptoms are too severe.

jselleck replied to cddarlyn's response:
I agree with Cookie and Cddarlyn. I have BP 1 with horrible symptoms. From my fantastic pdoc to my wonderful personal counselor and marriage counselor that I see with my husband.I have a great support system.. Since I joined two years ago this board has also been a great support to me. From the loving support of my friends to the great advice I get from Dr. Goldberg they are fantastic. However I do agree that some change would be good. Lately I've found fewer and fewer newbies joining and a lot of the old members leaving or dropping off the board for long periods of time. Also I've been finding fewer and fewer posts that I feel like responding to. Maybe that's just me, but still I agree that change is good no matter the issue. So as my uncle used to say, that's my two bits, do with it as you please. Have a nice day. Oh, and my symptoms are much better than they were before I was diagnosed so I hope you have the same luck.

JSelleck,

bipoet001 responded:
I'm 68 and it does get easier. I'd say after 45 or so. David

ibex7 responded:
One thing I've learned not to forget. Bipolars, in addition to their unusual moods and tempermanents, must also deal with the normal emotional stresses of living. Much of my time is spent needing/giving friendship, a pat on the back, or and understanding ear.

A lot of this is clickish support. Your needs may be for logical evaluation and more professional involvement may be to your liking. When loyal to my meds regimen, for the most part, I am asymptomatic and lead a normal connection with relatives and friends. A support group is important to me because I think the topics should also contain humor and affections. A purely academic forum would not suit my needs. - ibex 7

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
Thank you for bringing your concerns forward, Lotus. I expect that wasn't easy either.

There is room for all kinds of discussions. This community belongs to all of you and I hope you'll stick around and start discussions about things you want to talk about.

Those check ins can really help some members ground themselves and say hello and share what's going on in their day-to-day lives. But they're not for everyone. So start something else that interests you.

Responses to other discussions often don't get further responses and it can even sometimes depend on when you're posting.

(For example - and I don't know that this is the case for you - I have one busy community where members really welcome and support newcomers but anyone who happens to be in a different time zone and posting late at night compared to the other members can sometimes end up feeling left out. This isn't intentional but it does happen. That's why it's a good idea to start a new discussion now and then of your own and keep starting them. I hope you'll continue to give this community a chance.)

bpcookie replied to Caprice_WebMD_Staff's response:
Ive also noticed that this board is slower on Friday and the weekends. Probably because everyone is busy on those days. New ppl wouldn't be aware of this.

The Daily Posts are a good way to get to know ppl. *Weather* can affect how ppl feel and so does *sleep*. *Mood* gives ppl the chance to let others know how they are feeling. The *plans* section is a nice way to let others know whats going on in their lives.

lotus replied to Caprice_WebMD_Staff's response:
Caprice, I appreciate your in put. First of all I want to apolize to bpcookie on my childish response to her post. I also agree with cddarlyn that there should have been a yes in the poll. I was in a very bad place with being hypomanic phase for over two months. This was only my second hypomanic episode in 12 years. I have a very good pdoc and tdoc. It was just extremely hard to get it under control. I was hurting so bad. After stopping the wellbutrin and decreasing the cymbalta, increasing the seroquel to 1000mg, it seems to be helping. Also my thyroid and parathyroid levels were all out of whack. My endocrinologist said he was amazed that I was doing so well. If I was so well, I would hate to see bad.
You commented about starting new discussion on this board. I have concerns about that. It is the same 9 members who posts. I know the response I got when I even suggested there could be improvement. Which was not receive positively. I feel it would be stepping on toes in a very big way. I don't need the grief. So I would like reassurance that a new discussion form would be accepted, what ever it may turn out to be. Anyway I am not sure if there anyone else who want to participate in a different way of discussion. It would not be better or worse than the present daily post, just different. Plus it doesn't mean you have to choose ffrom the two. Thanks for listening.

slik_kitty replied to lotus's response:
if you have another daily post format you want to try, then go for it. like caprice said, ours is just to touch base with each other so we know how everyone is doing. we can have more than one daily post.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to lotus's response:
Just peeking back in here and saw your response, Lotus.

Thank you for sharing so much of yourself. And I agree with Kitty... go for it!

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

Medications for BPD
Please get a second opinion if you have chronic problems with your BPD medication. I changed doctors and got a proper diagnosis from ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.