Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Includes Expert Content
Dr. Goldberg: missing a dose of Lexapro
midge6869 posted:
Dr. Goldber, I take 10 mg of Lexapro at dinnertime. I missed my doses (didnt have them in my pill reminder box) Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday evenings. Noticed Thursday evening (Thanksgiving) and took it then. I've been experiencing the withdrawal symptoms, brain zaps (not too bad), really bad headache, nausea and dizziness. I was wondering how long this might last. Also, since I missed 3 days, will it be like starting over and taking a couple of weeks to take effect? Thank you.

Joseph F Goldberg, MD responded:
Dear mdge6869,

Resuming the Lexapro should eliminate the discontinuation symptoms within a day or two. Lexapro lasts in your system at least 5 days so missing just a few days shouldn't have any long-term consequences.

Dr. G.

midge6869 replied to Joseph F Goldberg, MD's response:
Thank you Dr. Goldberg.

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

new
hello everyone.. new to this..hope to talk to others who knows how it is having bipolar. More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.