Skip to content


Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Advice on getting help for someone else
An_249155 posted:
I was wondering if anyone would have any ideas on how to try to aapproach someone about seeking help for diagnosis and treatment for possible BP/whatever the issue is. Several yrs ago this persons employer required it and the md stated he believed it was highly likely and wanted to try treatment however this person was not interested in help or meds and didnt take them and as soon as the required length of therapy was over he quit. There is a family history of mental illness with a parent. The person I am concerned about is my childs father and although we do not get along I want to make sure that he cleans up his act bc he has been in a downward spiral of negative behavior for the past 7 years and its only getting worse including the way he speaks to me around our son. The examples of what has happened would leave people in disbelief at this point.

I am not sure if anyone has had experience with this or experience with interventions maybe? Im not sure that his family would even be terribly open to helping me without a lot of convincing but i think that its something I really need to do for my son if he intends to continue to spend time around his father.

I apologize for the lengthy post but if anyone has any suggestions I would really appreciate it.... Thanks
slik_kitty responded:
do you have a custody agreement written up by the courts? if you do, seek a lawyer and ask them how to proceed. you need to protect your child above all else.
sparkles14 replied to slik_kitty's response:
Yes, we settled out of court and the agreement was signed by the judge overseeing our case.
slik_kitty replied to sparkles14's response:
then speak to a lawyer on the best way to proceed.

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

Differentiating bipolar disorder from borderline personality disorderExpert
Borderline personality disorder is a condition in which people can very easily become angry and upset in response to stresses -- especially ... More
Was this Helpful?
114 of 131 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.