Skip to content

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Mind to Mush - Word Association Problems Anyone?
mercygive posted:
I am a good speller, but I have problems with word association. For example, my boss came into my office and asked if he could borrow the stamp and I picked up the stapler to give it to him. Again, he asked for the stamp and I insisted on giving him the stapler. Finally, I got it! We both laughed about it, but it really isn't all that funny and I feel like an idiot, and I worry about it. Did my confusion occur because the words stamp and stapler both begin with the letters 'sta'? It happens frequently and it happens when someone is asking me a question and I get this blank stare on my face. I have little or no problem receiving instructions. I notice that here too when I attempt to answer a post. I feel less inept if my answer follows the subject. Sometimes, I answer a post just for practice. I get more than a daily dose of responding to written and oral disputes at work. I never know when or what problem is going to land on my desk, and I work with constant interruptions. I spend an equal amount of time answering questions (out flow) and receiving instructions (in flow).
I've noticed this problem has gotten worse over the last ten years. I am 52. It's no better, nor worse with or without taking medications, and occurs when I'm baseline. Why do I have word association problems when someone asks me a question, but not when I'm receiving instructions. Is this normal aging or something else? Is there anyone else here who shares this or similar experience? If so, please give examples if you can. Thank you.
FirstPrevious12NextLast

jselleck responded:
Mercy, Wish I could be of help. This is new to me, and I've never heard of this happening to anyone I know. Wish you all the luck in getting the help you're looking for. Best wishes.

J

slik_kitty responded:
that's happened to me, where i hear something other than what was said. where i see it the most though is when i am writing, i will pick the wrong word out of similarly spelled words. i always catch myself but it is extremely annoying. it's harder to catch that with the spoken word. it could be the bp, age or meds. maybe dr g can weigh in on this.

mercygive replied to jselleck's response:
Thanks Jessica. I don't know anyone who has experienced this either, well maybe Kitty. I usually dismiss it as too many interruptions and inability to focus, but I think there may be something more to it. BTW, so glad your little Peabody is back safely in your arms.

mercygive replied to slik_kitty's response:
Thanks Kitty. All I can think to do is track the incidents and details in my journal. I do have some verbal memory problems. I have difficulty hearing (not physically, no ringing) and processing what someone is telling or asking me. Usually, my boss will ask me to pull this report and I give him the wrong report, yet similar report in name or information. He will have to repeat it maybe twice again and then I recognize what he is asking for. Or someone will ask can I borrow your —and I reach for something else, they correct me and say no I need the — and it relates to something so simple. I have worked at this office for ten years so everything is habitual. One of my co-workers told me last week that I was not the same person I used to be. Other than that, I feel fine.
I have a pdoc appt coming up so I will talk to her, first, and see if it may be related to the meds I am taking and watch for side-effects. I told dh this morning and he agreed there is something wrong and now he is worried. He just wants to make sure I know red from green, brake from gas, and left from right.

bpcookie responded:
Hey Honey bunny, I do that when I'm on the computer. I will read a word but think it is a different word. Some times I will think its a bad word. lol. Perhaps I'm dirty minded, I don't know. Also, I can't remember simple words. I have to describe it to my husband so that he can guess at what word I'm trying to say or type.

My therapist told me that as we get older our minds become Swiss Cheese. That makes total sense to me.......what was I just talking about?? hehehe

love ya. muahs
You may go through life hearing a 1000 NO's but don't give up because your YES is out there waiting for you.- (Something my father told me.)

bpcookie responded:
I would like more ppl on the board to chime in. I'm wondering if this is typical with Bipolars
You may go through life hearing a 1000 NO's but don't give up because your YES is out there waiting for you.- (Something my father told me.)

monkeybee replied to bpcookie's response:
Hey gals!

I don't have the exact problem you mentioned but I certainly have mind mush moments, much more than is normal. For instance, there was a billboard that said weareuk#. I asked my husband what wear e uk means? He laughed and asked if I was serious then told me it was "we are uk?" Then we both laughed. Another example is I very often get words or even syllables mixed up. Just the other day I was talking about Steve and Sheila and said "Steila and Sheve." Again, we laughed but it seems like we are laughing at my brain a little more than I care to admit.

mercygive replied to bpcookie's response:
Cookie, there are times when I have brain freeze and it makes me irritable. My husband and I play charades too. Like he takes a bar of soap and points it at my mouth. lol

mercygive replied to monkeybee's response:
Monkey Bee,

At least we get a laugh out of it. I also switch syllables. I read everyday though. Recently, my husband said I need a hobby that works my brain. I practice the downloaded brain game apps on my phone and Kimble. But, I think a hobby is an interest that you share with others.

bpcookie replied to mercygive's response:
LOL Mercy re-soap. I was wondering if any of you Bipolars have gotten into the habit of talking out loud to yourselves? I catch myself doing it all day long. I will have make believe convo's with my Dr. before my apt. and then have make believe convo. about what I should have said to my Dr. Also I will talk to jerks in my past, just make believe of course and tell them what I wish I would have told them. So its blah blah blah non stop. I'm afraid if I keep it up, I will go crazy or something. uuugh

Cookie,
I do this often, but my doc said if I am doing it and it feels like I can't control it, it is a symptom that could signal a problem. This last time, I was even "thinking out loud," aka rehersing conversations, in front of my husband and daughter. I was very embarrassed if they would ask who I was talking to. I think it was driven by severe anxiety when I was in a bad manic state.

bpcookie replied to monkeybee's response:
Yes, thats what I do, rehearse conversations. hhhmmm I wonder what is going on in my life to cause me to do that. I stay at home all day alone with my dog, so I don't get to see ppl often. I wonder if its because I have no one to talk to. I have also been over whelmed and stressed out. I have VLSC and it causes me a great deal of pain. I've suffered daily from it for 2 yrs and the longer I have the pain the more I think I will never get any relief. So I have been very depressed about this.

Thanks so much for telling me about your *rehearsing conversations*. I really was afraid I was going crazy. Your not crazy so maybe there is hope for me. hehe

monkeybee replied to mercygive's response:
Mercygive,

A friend of mine says my brain works faster than my mouth and it takes a minute for one to catch up to the other.

I think the brain games are good.. I always worry that this will affect me when I am older though, like if it means I will be more susceptible to dimentia or other related illnesses as well. I am most certainly a worrier though.

In the day to day I think it might be a quirk but not an issue...I have enough of those, lol.

I really am so sorry about your chronic pain. It would make me depressed too, if not paniced. I wish you could have some relief!

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

Patience for the Holidays and every day life
Tips 1. Boredom can make it difficult to be patient. If you're waiting in the doctor's office and the only thing you can concentrate on is ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.