Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Venting re body pain
ddnos posted:
I don't know this for fact, but I think that most people, if given a choice, would rather have to endure physical pain over mental illness; but I have my doubts about that personally. Of course, if the mental illness were REALLY severe (fill in the blank as to what you would consider "really severe") but speaking for myself and the mental illness that I have and all that goes with it, I would still rather have that then chronic physical pain. I expect that might sound odd to some people, but for me, it's really true. Maybe only those with chronic pain can relate - or maybe I'm the only one with chronic pain who feels that way, I don't know. lol I'm just rambling. I bring this topic up because, as you may guess, my pain levels have been off the charts the past couple of weeks, and it's getting old. I've had chronic pain (low back, right hip, feet) for close to 30 years now - of course, it's much worse now than 30 years, but in those 30 years, I've not had even one day without pain. Fortunately, my pain levels are not always bad, but it never fully goes away. You'd think I'd be used to it by now, eh? Well, certain parts of it I am, but seems the past 5 or so years, the pain has gotten much worse and spread to more areas; so I've giving myself this evening to grumble about it. lol Then I'll keep it to myself....until it drives me up a wall again. lol

Thanks for reading and letting me vent.

Debbie
Forgiveness is letting go of the hope that the past could have been any different --Unknown

HeadScream responded:
You're not rambling. I also live with chronic pain. Sometimes in one spot, sometimes all over in random areas. You're not rambling to me, just expressing yourself. I've always asked myself that question. Would I rather live in mental pain (illness) or physical pain. Since both is so traumatizing, I honestly don't know. A friend who also experiences both, she said physical, but her hubby said mental. Honey, you NEVER get used to pain, no matter how long you've had it. Don't let anyone tell you that please. And if they do, then you ask them if they'd like for you to run them over throughout the day, and see if they'd get used to THAT.

ddnos replied to HeadScream's response:
Thank you for your comments; I appreciate it!

I agree re never getting used to pain. I guess what I meant by what I said about being used to it is that I'm used to having some kind of and to varying degrees of pain every day - it's no surprise. I'd be more surprised if I had no pain any given day. lol So in that sense, I'm used to it. When there are low levels of pain, I'm "used to it" in the sense that I can go through the day without really noticing it because I've become accustomed to it. It's when the pain levels go anything beyond a 5 for more than a day or two that I get a bit cranky.

At any rate, thanks again, and I'm sorry that you also have to live with chronic pain!

Debbie
Forgiveness is letting go of the hope that the past could have been any different --Unknown

bpcookie responded:
Hey Doodles dahling, Since I have been through both and still going through both, mental illness and physical pain, I would rather go through the mental illness. I find that chronic physical pain can wear me down and drag me into depression. Where as, if I didn't have the chronic pain then my mental illness would be better under control and I would be more stable.

My Bipolar was stable and I was doing really well until chronic pain hit me. It was like an evil little joke. Like Mother nature was playing a game with me. Mother Nature "ok, I will throw mental illness at her and I will sit back and enjoy the show", "Oh darn, now she is stable, I will throw back pain at her, hahaha, this is great fun to watch", "oh crap, she has now excepted her back pain, now I will throw some LSC pain her way. She won't be able to handle this one. bbbuuuaaawwwhhhhaaaaa. What fun".

Sorry to go off on my chronic pain but I have had just about enough of this crap!!!!!

Chronic pain can cause all kinds of mental issues and it can really wear down someone. I know where your coming from honey. This whole thing sucks. Its like, how are we supposed to be mentally stable when we hurt constantly?? So anyways dahling, you vent and grumble all you want to. You have earned the right to do so. muahs and hugs
You may go through life hearing a 1000 NO's but don't give up because your YES is out there waiting for you.- (Something my father told me.)

ddnos replied to bpcookie's response:
{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{Cookie}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}} Thank you so much for your input! I hear exactly what you are saying and said it better than I did lol The part where you s aid that chronic pain can wear you down and sometimes drag you into depression and how mental illness would be better under conrol without the added stress of chronic pain.......yes! That's part of why I would rather mental illness than chronic pain! lol It's hard to deal with the mental side of things with constant pain working against you! Not impossible, but much harder!

Thanks again, and I'm sorry that your pain levels have been so bad! Where do we stand in line for our new, pain-free bodies? lol

Hugs
Debbie

bpcookie replied to ddnos's response:
LOL thanks for the giggle Doodles. If you find out where you get those pain-free bodies, let me know. Also, can we be a bit selfish and pick a perfect models body? I wouldn't mind having a smaller butt and some perkiness up stairs.
You may go through life hearing a 1000 NO's but don't give up because your YES is out there waiting for you.- (Something my father told me.)

ddnos replied to bpcookie's response:
Oh heck yeah, Cookie! We can pick out ANY kind of body that we want as long as it doensn't have pain!! So go for it! Pick out your new, pain-free, gorgeous bod!! lol I will do the same! Heck, I just might end up being in love with myself after I'm done! lol

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

NSAIDS and lithiumExpert
Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (eg, Motrin/ibuprofen, Advil, Naprosyn) raise lithium levels by about 20%. We often therefore say ... More
Was this Helpful?
69 of 92 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.