Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Ativan question
sandtiger posted:
Does anyone on the board here take Ativan daily, or have they in the past?

My doc switched me from xanax to Ativan because I was finding I needed the Xanax more and more (the change was by my request). I'm not having anxieties to the raging levels I was before while on the Xanax (which is, of course, a sudden and short-lived reprieve), but I'm finding I'm taking the Ativan almost every day to keep the edge of the anxieties off.

Opinions? Should I talk to my doc about switching from prn to every day?

~ San
:: Living is more than just being alive - Anberlin ::

bpcookie responded:
Hi honey, I take it, the generic form Lorazepam. I take it about every other day but I use it for a different reason...usually. Sometimes my pain meds will cause me breathing difficulties and I noticed that if I take a Lorazepam it help greatly. When I have problems with anxiety beyond being able to handle it on my own, then I will take a tablet to help calm me down.

You can become dependent on Lorazepam. So, if you take it every day, there is a CHANCE that it won't work as well as it did when you first started taking it and you MAY feel the need to take more. As for me I haven't had issues with it. I don't feel the need to take it more often.

I know that it doesn't answer your question but I hope it helps a bit.
You may go through life hearing a 1000 NO's but don't give up because your YES is out there waiting for you.- (Something my father told me.)

ddnos responded:
Hi San,

I agree with Cookie except for that you actually will need to increase the does because it is addictive and if you take it daily, then soon it loses its effect, thus, your need to increase.

I take it as needed for sleep (tho currently trying something else) but I have found that if there are occassions where I have to take it several nights in a row, it eventually doesn't work as well, then I'll take an extra pill the following night. If I were to continue like that, I'd end up having to continue to increase it an not be able to sleep at all unless I take it. I don't want to become dependent on it to sleep, so I make sure that I don't take it on a nightly basis.

I would ask your pdoc if there is anything you can take for anxiety that is not addictive. I don't recall what it is, but I vaguely remember Dr. G mentioning some meds that might be good for that, but not 100% sure. Maybe you can pose that question to him?

Good luck!
Debbie
Forgiveness is letting go of the hope that the past could have been any different --Unknown

sandtiger replied to ddnos's response:
Thank you, ladies!

~ San
:: Living is more than just being alive - Anberlin ::

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

NSAIDS and lithiumExpert
Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (eg, Motrin/ibuprofen, Advil, Naprosyn) raise lithium levels by about 20%. We often therefore say ... More
Was this Helpful?
69 of 92 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.