Skip to content

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Includes Expert Content
Dr. G [anxiety meds]
sandtiger posted:
Afternoon, Dr. G!

I have an easy question ... I have GAD (in addition to BP1) and I used to take Xanax for it. My anxieties were not controlled well with Xanax, I'm guessing because its got such a short life-span, so I asked my doc about putting me on Ativan. He gave me a prescription but I've realized I take it often and am now having to take two at a time for relief. The ladies just told me this happens a lot and it can be addictive.

What are some other anti-anxiety meds I can talk to my pdoc about?

ps. I am currently on Lamictal, Celexa, and Geodon daily with a multi-V and fishoil as suppliment, and Trazodone prn.

Thanks,
~ San
:: Living is more than just being alive - Anberlin ::

ddnos responded:
bump
Forgiveness is letting go of the hope that the past could have been any different --Unknown

Joseph F Goldberg, MD responded:
Dear San,

Celexa is a commonly used medicine for GAD. If it isn't helping, it could be supplemented with buspirone. Benzodiazepines aren't great long-term remedies for GAD because they can cause tolerance and withdrawal and are meant more for short- rather than long-term treatment of anxiety. Geodon, depending on the dose, could have anti-anxiety properties, although Seroquel is a better-studied antipsychotic than Geodon for both bipolar depression and anxiety. We try not to combine both because of their additive risk for cardiac arrhythmias. The anticonvulsants Neurontin and Lyrica both have demonstrated anti-anxiety value, though neither is established as a treatment for mood symptoms.

Dr. G.

sandtiger replied to Joseph F Goldberg, MD's response:
THank you! ^_^

~ San
:: Living is more than just being alive - Anberlin ::

BOXIE responded:
Dr G have you ever heard of lycrica meds they are supposed to be the best if they agree with you from Boxie

Joseph F Goldberg, MD replied to BOXIE's response:
Dear Boxie, Lyrica is an antiseizure and antipain medicine that has been shown to have some antianxiety properties. It has no known value for mood and there are no studies of it for mood symptoms in bipolar disorder v Dr. G.

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

NSAIDS and lithiumExpert
Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (eg, Motrin/ibuprofen, Advil, Naprosyn) raise lithium levels by about 20%. We often therefore say ... More
Was this Helpful?
69 of 92 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.