Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Soo confused
mommieof20102 posted:
Hi everyone,
I've been dx'ed bipolar 4 yrs now still working through it all.
My Dr wants me to see someone to do my medication but I also need therapy, what kind of therapist do I see?
I'm just so confused about it..

Does anyone have issues of skin picking and have problems with processing things? I'm starting to wonder if I don't have ADD too.. Is ADD part of being bipolar?

Thanks for any help

jdlcn responded:
I have had chronic depression for as long as i can remember, but have recently been diagnosed as Bipolar ll. Therapy and meds together are really helpful. I go to a community mental health center in my hometown, so I can afford it. They assess you then you are assigned to a therapist that "fits". As i have gone thru this process twice in my lifetime, with other therapists in between, i truly recommend it. It is scary at first, going to therapy, but the help and relief you receive are worth it.

mommieof20102 replied to jdlcn's response:
I'll look into it , thanks..

I'm at a pont in my life that i need to know why about things, why do i have a hard time feeling,I hope I can find a good therapist.

jdlcn replied to mommieof20102's response:
I hope you do to. Best of wishes to you.

jdlcn replied to mommieof20102's response:
I forgot to mention, that yes, at times i, too, have problems processing things, and the skin picking as well. I also understand about needing to know the "why" about things.
I am sorry you are going thru this, it is not easy. It kind of helps to know others experience the same or similar symptoms, but that only helps so much.
I really do wish you the best.

mommieof20102 replied to jdlcn's response:
I think the worse part is when your accused of not paying attention, don't your ever listen and doesn't your head process anything... makes you feel stupid... especially when it's from someone who says they understand you

jselleck replied to mommieof20102's response:
Hi, I was diagnosed bp 2 8 years ago. My husband actually suspected it before I had any idea. His family has a long history of bp which means I have great support from him. He does tend to go overboard at times, which drives me crazy, but he's cute when he does it. My pdoc recommended therapy also when I was diagnosed, and it's been a great help. It's taken me several therapists to finally find the right one, but eventually you'll find the one that clicks with you. It does get better eventually. In fact I've had the best year since my diagnosis even with some major stressors. Hope this helps. I've also heard of people with both add and bp. My husband in fact has add and his mom had undiagnosed bp when she died. Things do get better. Take care.

JSelleck

BOXIE responded:
Hi soo confused i have bipolar 21 years went through medication and ECT the best thing ever happoned to me was getting the right councler he saved my life hope this can help
Boxey

BOXIE responded:
Hi boxie here i have a 14 year daugther with OCD she skin pickes also does about 50 differant things but i dont think she has ADD

mommieof20102 replied to BOXIE's response:
My 10 yr daughter is BP and Add, she was going through the picking thing too, she has scares from it, but thankfully she has stopped. hopefully won't start up again... I looking for a therapist that also does medication management, my Dr won't do my BP meds anymore..
I have found it to be hard to have someone in my life that will take the time to even understand it and how difficult it can be and how it can interfer with your life especially if u add mixed in...

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

Screen out people who can't seem to "get it"....
There are some people who can't or won't understand at all. My wife is bipolar, and some people are more understanding than others. We ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 40 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.