Skip to content

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
in denial
babyboys2 posted:
I have been with my husband for over 7 years, going, have two children and within one week he was a stranger to me. He went to the hospital for over a week and now they say he has this disease. They put him on medication and it helped and now he's being very cold and distant all over again, he snaps at me constantly, doesn't want to play with the kids and I don't know what to do. I feel so lost and just need to know what to do as far as how I feel. I didn't believe the bipolar diagnosis and now after he went on this medication and after his one "week" of his mind temporary being lost, I am starting to believe it, but where do I go from here I don't know him anymore and it's breaking my heart. I just want some advise from someone who has been there and if it gets any better?

ddnos responded:
I don't know how long your husband has been on medication, but is he communicating with his doctor about his moods and behavior? Being bipolar is not an excuse to behave like you mentioned above, but also, medication alone is not going to "fix" him or anyone. He needs therapy to learn to change old, negative, learned behaviors - not just meds. Also, it's possible that he's on the wrong meds that aren't doing him any good, which is why I asked if he's communicating with his doctor about how the meds are and are not working. Sometimes it takes trying several diff meds before finding the right one(s) that work.

So I wouild encourage your husband to first, talk with his pdoc about his meds, and if it's ok with your husband, acompany him to one appt so that the pdoc can get things from your perspective too. I would also encourage him to get therapy to work on his recovery. It won't happen on its own or with medication alone.

My best to you
Debbie
Forgiveness is letting go of the hope that the past could have been any different --Unknown

babyboys2 replied to ddnos's response:
Thank you for replying, this is all new to us, I am going on 6 years of marriage, 7 years of living together and within one week, a little bit before Halloween, he totally snapped, he was a different person. So, he has not been on the meds very long, but I did see an improvement right away, within days of him being home from the hospital. I went to an appointment with him with his phycotherapist, and the they're trying to get him to see a phycharistrist (sorry for my spelling), anyway it's taking forever for him to get in, it's been weeks now and no phone calls back, they are the only ones that can adjust his meds. He is just so distant and cold, that's not like him. I just feel so lost and that is why I am on this forum, just to see what to do and how to feel about this, cause he doesn't discuss anything with me and it's so hard being in the dark all the time.
Thanks for your encouraging words.,

ddnos replied to babyboys2's response:
You're welcome, and I seriously wonder if he's on the right meds or not for him to be having such a reaction to them that I would for sure talk with his pdoc about it. Medications can do this to a person and if it's obviously not himself, then if it were me, there'd be no way I'd stay on meds that turn me into someone I'm not.

Re waiting for a call from his doc, I would call them back if it's been a while waiting for them. Sometimes you need to be the squeeky wheel, you know?

Long time ago when my doc was trying to find the correct med for me, the first one I took had me feeling great the first 2 weeks on it, which is not normal, but after that, I went downhill and had to stop that med and try another. It took trying several diff meds before getting the right meds fro me that I've been on for 20 years now. So there is hope. I've also gone to therapy too, to get help for the areas that meds can't do.

So give the doc a call in the morning, yes? You shouldn't have to wait weeks for a return call!

Hang in there
Debbie
Forgiveness is letting go of the hope that the past could have been any different --Unknown

babyboys2 replied to ddnos's response:
yes, I will def call them in the morning, but I might have worded it wrong, my husband, his phycotherapist, a nurse at the hospital have all tried calling for weeks on end, sometimes every day, still no response.
I guess I'm still in such shock about this, I just want my loving husband and father to our two beautiful baby boys back:(

ddnos replied to babyboys2's response:
I know, and I'm sure you will get him back once his meds get on track!

Debbie

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

Patience for the Holidays and every day life
Tips 1. Boredom can make it difficult to be patient. If you're waiting in the doctor's office and the only thing you can concentrate on is ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.