Skip to content

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Clarity
leantwo posted:
My son in law has been diagnosed Bipolar and placed on medications a few years ago. We were unaware of his illness until my daughter became pregnant with their first child. During her pregnancy we witnessed him blow up for no apparent reason. Screaming, calling us names and damaging property. In the middle of our parade he struck my daughter full fisted in the face four times. When he was arrested they found a loaded weapon on him. They have a 5 month old daughter and I am terrified for her and my daughters safety. My daughter continues to defend her husband and blames his illness, medication and childhood for his actions. We are at a loss as how to help any of them. Is this violence a part of the Bipolar? Any suggestions or avenues would be greatly appreciated

bpcookie responded:
Leantwo, I have a daughter of my own so I totally understand your fear. Let me first give you the definition of Bipolar.

Wikipedia Bipolar Definition:

is a psychiatric diagnosis for a mood disorder in which people experience disruptive mood swings . These encompass a frenzied state known as mania (or hypomania ) usually alternated with symptoms of depression . Bipolar disorder is defined by the presence of one or more episodes of abnormally elevated energy levels, cognition , and mood with or without one or more depressive episodes.

Here is the part that I think will answer your question:

At the lower levels of mania, such as hypomania, individuals may appear energetic and excitable. At a higher level, individuals may behave erratically and impulsively, often making poor decisions due to unrealistic ideas about the future, and may have great difficulty with sleep. At the highest level, individuals can show psychotic behavior, including violence.

Obviously he is not stable. If he is a danger to himself or to others, (obviously he is a danger), then he can be forced into a mental institution against his will. Your daughter can have this done. Im not sure what the law will allow you and your husband to do. Since there is a child involved then perhaps your rights as grandparents may allow you to have him hospitalized. Call the local police and ask them.

I hope everything will work out as it should. Stay safe. hugs to you
You may go through life hearing a 1000 NO's but don't give up because your YES is out there waiting for you.- (Something my father told me.)

ddnos responded:
Hello leantwo,

Violent behavior is not excusable because of mental illness, but violence can become a byproduct of a mental illness that is left untreated. Your daugher excuses her husbands behavior by blaming mental illness, medication, and his childhood when what needs to happen is he needs to get serious help ASAP BEFORE he does something that can't be fixed. His violent behavior can be linked to anyone of the three things you mentioned, but you don't just stop there - he NEEDS help. A mental health excuse won't change the damage he could do in a fit of rage. I would call the police to find out if you have any clout in this situation because of your granddaughter being in a dangerous environment. Ask your daughter if she really wants her 5 month old daughter in an unsafe place where her life could potentially be taken, as well as her own? Ask her if it would matter then the reason for his violence, you know? I'm serious - ask her.

Thank you for posting your concern and I hope that your daughter will be convinced to do something to keep herself and her child safe. Call a lawyer to find out what your rights are.

Let us know how things go
Debbie
Forgiveness is letting go of the hope that the past could have been any different --Unknown

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

NSAIDS and lithiumExpert
Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (eg, Motrin/ibuprofen, Advil, Naprosyn) raise lithium levels by about 20%. We often therefore say ... More
Was this Helpful?
69 of 92 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.