Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
HELP Dnos or anyone else who knows about SSI
jselleck posted:
Hey Debbie, you wrote a post sometime back about returning to work after being on social security disability. In it, you said that anyone on disability who wants to keep their benefits but work a part time job, could do so, as long as they didn't gross more than $1100 a month. Well, I've been on disability for about three years or so, and I'm trying to get a job as a substtue teacher. The bad/good news is that the district I used to work for has raised their rate from $65 a day to $95. Which is great, but it means that I possibly can't work as much as we hoped. What I'm wondering and hope that you know the answer to, is if a person gets a seasonal job, say one that only lasts 8 months or so out of the year, can they gross more than $1100 a month during the months they do work, if it comes under $13200 they would make if they worked the full 12 months?? Any advice would be deeply appreciated. If it makes any difference I live in North Texas, and the school system I'm hoping to get on with, is a local public school system. Thanks a ton!!! Hope you have a merry Christmas. Take care.

Jessica

ddnos responded:
Good morning, J!

Well, I'm not sure of the answer to that one, so, what I did is I just emailed an expert on SSDI and SSI and as soon as he gets back to me, I will post the answer.

Are you on SSI or SSDI? I hope SSDI because that's what I told him. lol But SSI doesn't have the $1040 SGA...btw, $1040 is what the most you can earn for 2013. If you have disability related expences then you can add the cost of those so that will increase your SGA. Example, if you pay out of your pocket $75 for therapy, or meds, etc., then your earnings go up to $1115 monthly.

Hopefully my guy will get back to me sometime today for you. I am going to my mom later this morning, but I will still have access to a computer.

Have a peaceful Christmas!

Debbie
Forgiveness is letting go of the hope that the past could have been any different --Unknown

RjBee responded:
I'm on ssdi and do seasonal work . if your gross is under what your benifit amout they dont take it out if you go over i think it has to be a regular job, i forgot the term of hand. if you call they can let you right a way. ijust send in my pay stub go from there... i also am on the ticket to work program. they help get back to work and for a time you get to keep all your earnings.. and if cant make it you just call and go back on benifits...

ddnos responded:
Hi Jessica,

I emailed the guy I mentioned and he wrote me back. He said, "If she keep her wages under $1,040 per month then she can have her check. Social Security does not average by the year, to determine which months the person can have their payment. They average when they are determining the ability to perform SGA and decide if Cessation of Disability has occurred."

So, as I thought, you must keep your monthly wage under $1040; otherwise, social security will decide that since you are able to work about the SGA level ($1040 monthly) then you would lose your disability. Does that make sense?

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Debbie
Forgiveness is letting go of the hope that the past could have been any different --Unknown

mattthecat replied to ddnos's response:
ddnos I have heard there is a trial period where a person on disability can try going back to work and it will not hurt there disability status. how many times can use the trial period and what affect might it have on this situation. would the y loose there disability during the months they worked over but go back to normal when there seasonal work is complete. Or even say I know a person that could make a ton of money for two months consulting on a fluke project where the person could get 25$ an hour for one or two months at average of 20 or thirty hours a week but then do nothing for a year or more if ever again. How would the trial period work in either of these two situations. Just wondering

Matt

ddnos replied to mattthecat's response:
Hi Matt,

It's called Trial Work Period (TWP) and it's a period of 9 months, they don't have to be consecutive. This 9 month TWP starts once the person starts earning over the Substantial Gainful Activity (SGA) which for 2013, is $1040 monthly. During this TWP, a person can earn ANY amount of money and will still get their Disabilty check. So if a person were working a seasonal job, they could earn as much as they can for that amount of time, still get disability check........then, once that job is over and the person goes back below SGA ($1040) the 9 month TWP ends and your disability is not effected. If, lets say, the person works again a year later and earns above the SGA, that 9 month TWP will continue, but it will be on month 4 and 5. There is only ONE trial work period. So once a person has used their TWP, it's over; they would have to either work part time and earn below $1040 or work full time and lose their disability. If one goes back to work full time and loses their disability, they have 5 years to then be expeditatly reinstated back onto disability without having to go through the application process. While waiting for SSA to process, you get whats called Provisional Benefits for up to 6 months, after which, your disability is reinstated.

Also, a trial work period does NOT go into effect if a person is working part time and earning below SGA ($1040) - they will just earn the money for part time and disability is not effected at all.

I'm not sure I answered all your questions, but if not, ask again lol

Debbie

jselleck replied to ddnos's response:
Debbie,

Thanks so much for letting us pick your brain. Matt and I have discussed it, and most likely I'll just work a few days a week so I don't make more than the TWP. I could probably stretch things out because I do pay out of pocket for some of my medical expenses, but that sounds like a lot of work. Really appreciate the time you put into this. It's nice to have someone to go to for information. Hope you and yours have a great Christmas. Thanks again.

Jessica

ddnos replied to jselleck's response:
You're welcome, Jessica!

Yeah, as long as you don't gross more than $1040, it doesn't matter how many days or hours you work - it's the amount of monthly income they look at, not the hours. Also, you don't want to push it too close to $1040 lol

I hope you guys have a nice Christmas and New Year as well!

Debbie

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

JUST BREATHE!!!!
I did it! I'm where I need to be. I'm in waiting room, listining to a suggested song~ Fast Car ~ My all time fav. Thanks for the reminder. ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.