Skip to content

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Includes Expert Content
Can hypoglisimia develop into diabetes ???
AFAB_COL posted:
Can hypoglisimia develop into diabetes[br>[br>Iam 19 years old and on my last annually blood test my blood sugar came on the low the doctor said it could be a sing of me becoming hypoglycemic( low blood sugar) however on the Internet they said that this could mean I would burn out my pancreas and develop diabetes is this true ??? i mean I am not over weight and there is no diabetics in the family the only thing is that Iam really thin they said I have a fast metabolism. The doctor also said I should eat more often to try and educate my pancreas to release he proper amount of insulin. Is this possible ??

Joseph F Goldberg, MD responded:
Dear AFAB_COL,

Hypoglycemia doesn't "become" diabetes, but people who are at risk for diabetes to begin with may sometimes have hypoglycemia as an early phenomenon. Much depends on whether you have other risk factors for eventually developing diabetes -- being overweight, having a family history of diabetes, taking medicines that can cause diabetes (eg, most atypical antipsychotics), etc. -- and trying to minimize those risks as best as you're able.

Dr. G.

AFAB_COL replied to Joseph F Goldberg, MD's response:
Thanks with information As I mentioned before I'm not overweight in fact I'm a little bit under and dieting to gain some kilos might this also be affecting my hypoglycemia?? There no diabetics in the family and Iam not on any medication the doctor said I should eat more often to train my pancreas does this work!?? Finally considering your response that means I can be hypoglycemic and if I don't have the rest of the rest risk factors[br>just be hypoglycemic and never developed diabetes[br>

Joseph F Goldberg, MD replied to AFAB_COL's response:
Dear AFAB_COL,

I'm not so sure the pancreas is "trainable" -- never heard that idea before. If you exercise, eat a sensible diet, and take care of yourself I wouldn't assume your risk for eventually developing diabetes is necessarily any higher than that of the average person.

Dr. G.

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

Differentiating bipolar disorder from borderline personality disorderExpert
Borderline personality disorder is a condition in which people can very easily become angry and upset in response to stresses -- especially ... More
Was this Helpful?
112 of 129 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.