Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Hi Monkeybee if still around
ddnos posted:
Hi Monkeybee,

I noticed you asked if I was still around as you were having a rough time.....I wasn't when you wrote about 50 min ago, but am now if you are still there. What's going on for you?

Debbie
Forgiveness is letting go of the hope that the past could have been any different --Unknown

monkeybee responded:
Not much...just awake and thinking too much. How are you? Thanks for sharing everything. You are so fun!

monkeybee replied to monkeybee's response:
Does it get easier, better? Do you find ways to cope? Does time make it worse or better? Am I just really weak if this feels like too much for me? I just don't know.

ddnos replied to monkeybee's response:
Hi Monkeybee,

Does it get easier? Yes, I believe that it does - it can. It depends on if one is taking action toward making things better or easier or not because it won't just happen by itself. If you are relying on medication alone, then no, it won't get better. We need a combo of meds, therapy, and self care. Of course, we don't need therapy forever, but if anyone is expecting for meds alone to make things change, they will be horribly dissapointed. Recovery takes a lot of work on the inside - therapy helps with what meds can't do. I don't know if you are in therapy or not, so I'm not assuming that you aren't - just saying. But it's more than just being in therapy - it's therapy that commits to be completely honest with yourselef and your therapist - willing to work hard and not just listen, but do the work. Your thearpist should be helping you with learning new, effective ways to cope. THerapy is about change, and if there's no change when one goes to therapy, then it's either the therapist or the client not doing the work.

So bottom line, yes, one can get better and able to function in society as well as anyone else - it just takes work, and everyone goes at different pace because we all have different issues to deal with.

No, you are not just "too weak" if you feel it's too much for you. I've had lots of times in my life where I thougth it was too hard, too much - but it passes - I move on - I get stronger. Keep moving forward and you will get stronger and more able to deal with things you couldn't before.

Debbie
Forgiveness is letting go of the hope that the past could have been any different --Unknown

Hi again, lol. Its just late and I'm overly emotional. I'll be fine in the morning. Have a good night!

You may be feeling emotional, but your words were clear - if it just "goes away in the morning" then likely you are just pushing it under the rug rather than dealing with what is going on for you. If that's the case, you may feel better in the morning, but I can promise you that it won't stay.

Debbie

monkeybee replied to ddnos's response:
That last reply was just because I was a little embarrassed. I get that way too easily. Thank you. I have just started therapy. I really like my therapist too but I just don't seem to be able to cope. When I was young and was this unwell, I had VERY unhealthy coping skills and I am constantly tempted to resort to them. I know if I do, I won't stop. I believe you though and I appreciate the hope. I really need it right now. I really need hope.

I won't really be better in the morning, just less emotional. I just wish for my family's sake I would be. Thank you also for sharing your story and advice. I am clueless. My therapist is going to give me a book that has more in depth information. I am eager to read it because right now I can't tell the difference between me and my bipolar.

Debbie, please don't be upset by that nonchalant response, I wrote it before I read your response and then responded again. I feel bad for constantly being such a mess and not knowing if my thoughts are reality or not.

I have nothing to be upset about re your reply.

You've just started working on yourself and you won't get better over night -it takes time. Ask your therapist to help you with coping skills in the areas that you need it. Always be sure to communicate with your tdoc re what you need or don't need in therapy, but at the same time, remember that he/she is the professional and hopefully knows a thing or two about what they are doing lol....but that doesn't mean they are perfect. There have been plenty of times where I (respectfully) let my tdoc that what she was saying to me didn't fit with what I was trying to say - and also even more times where she would be very insistant that what she was saying DID fit with where I was coming from, and I'd still insist that it wasn't..but it was those times that I either really didn't see/understand what she was saying, or I was not yet willing to admit that she was right. Either way, honesty and communication is SO important in therapy. I wish you all the best, and I hope that your tdoc knows what he/she is doing - not just that you like him/her - though obviously, that's a must.

It will get better! Keep moving forward and do whatever it takes to make positive, healthy changes in your life!

Debbie

Wish for your sake first - then your family.

monkeybee replied to ddnos's response:
Thank you Debbie. I needed to hear that tonight. Therapy was not successful when I was younger but now that I understand and have (a little) more insight into what is happening, I think I have a better chance. I do tend to just go with what someone says so I will remember to be vocal. Right now, she is just learning about me and having me journal my days. She says we will be more structured in a few weeks. She seems to be pretty good with mood disorders.

Anyway, thank you. I'm trying to do this for me first. I know that it will take work and time. Hanging in there.

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

new
hello everyone.. new to this..hope to talk to others who knows how it is having bipolar. More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.