Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Need help...maybe I'm in the right place.
An_249652 posted:
Hello. This is my first time on here.

My wife was just diagnosed with Bipolar and maybe schizophrenia. There is a lot of background building up to this. As a husband, what can I do to help and support while we get treatment and professional care? We have 2 children under 8yrs. Thank you for any aid in this. This is new to me.

An_249652 responded:
We are currently long distance due to other issues. Thank you again for any advice!

slik_kitty responded:
just be there for her. let her know you love her and support her no matter what.

snowyowl33 responded:
Hi An_249652,

Welcome to the Board. Sorry for the late reply, the Boards are quiet over the holidays, but there will be many more ppl back on again after them.

You're situation as a partner can be a tough one, but I commend you on coming here and reaching out for help!

The very best things you can do as a partner is to get both of you as much proper education and knowledge as you can about your wife's disorder(s) learn, learn learn, know them inside out and what options are out there for both of you.

She needs to get set up with a good Psychiatrist(if not already) who's well versed in her illnesses and has a good history of treating them, or at the very least a therapist and a proper medication regime set up that's right for her. Finding the right meds can be a long difficult process for some, but not all.

The next thing is to surround yourself with support. You also need that especially if you have two youngster's to take care of as well. Finding a support group for partner's (ie yourself) is also a very good idea so you have somewhere you can turn to where people understand what you're going through and can offer ideas etc.as well.

Gather family and friends around to help you with the kids while your wife gets her new medications (?) sorted out. Seek out to mental health groups in your area, (and here) who can provide both you and your wife with guidance to other organizations as there are many.

Are you living in the USA? If so there are a couple of ppl on the Board here who will have some good contact organizations for you.... I will give them a nudge when the Holidays are over..

There is also a gentleman by the name of Matt here who I believe runs a Board for men of BP partners and he will be around after the holidays too.... just put up a post with "Matt" in the title and either he or his wife will get it.

Looking forward to hearing back from you and feel free to tell us a bit more about yourselves.

Snowy
People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost. Dalai Lama

klg1976 replied to snowyowl33's response:
My boyfriend is bipolar and the one thing I learned is to be there but don't be pushy because it will cause them to be distant. Let them know you care. I also joined my local community's NAMI organization. It is a support group for families with those with mental illness. It is very informative as well as supportive. Good Luck!

klg1976 responded:
My boyfriend is bipolar and the one thing I learned is to be there but don't be pushy because it will cause them to be distant. Let them know you care. I also joined my local community's NAMI organization. It is a support group for families with those with mental illness. It is very informative as well as supportive. Good Luck!

jeremiah01271980 replied to slik_kitty's response:
Thank you.

jeremiah01271980 replied to snowyowl33's response:
Owl,

When i reply on here or post, how private is it? Can anyone do a google search and pop up with my posts and responses? I would love to fill you in on the whole picture to see if there are any missing avenues to ensure I do the right thing/s for my wife right noe. Thank you for the support and assistance.

jeremiah01271980 replied to klg1976's response:
Thnaks KLG. I'm waiting on Owl, or maybe you can answer as to how private are these posts on here? See above...thanks.

Anon_527 replied to jeremiah01271980's response:
WebMD is a public website. The WebMD communities are therefore fully public. Anyone can read the posts and not even need to log in. If you do a Yahoo or Google search on your screen name, you will find discussions you have started and or participated in.

This is the reason for being extremely careful what you post. Never reveal your real name, your exact address or telephone number. Be extremely cautious if sharing your e-mail address. Be sure to use one that does not reveal any personal information about you.

jeremiah01271980 replied to Anon_527's response:
Thanks. Will probably close the acct I have and reopen with less info about me. thanks!

snowyowl33 replied to jeremiah01271980's response:
Hi An_249652,

Yes, this is a public forum, and as Anon_527 wrote, open to all to see and read, so please be cautious as to what you're revealing in the way of very personal details, unless your comfortable doing so.

Having said that by all means pls. feel free to post here and join in the discussions as that's what this board is set up for. It is here to be a support to those in need and also a forum for people with questions, those seeking guidance, information, advice, friendship etc.

You can keep your name on the board here Anonymous if that feels more comfortable for you, and keep your posts in "general" terms.

Hope to hear back from you, most of us don't bite...

Snowy
People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost. Dalai Lama

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

Differentiating bipolar disorder from borderline personality disorderExpert
Borderline personality disorder is a condition in which people can very easily become angry and upset in response to stresses -- especially ... More
Was this Helpful?
109 of 126 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.