Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Root Cause of Behaviors while Manic - Mania Issues or Personality Disorder?
An_249671 posted:
I would be interested in input from anyone with experience with this. My son-in-law is bipolar and recently diagnosed. I've tried to read everything I can get my hands on to understand issues the family is facing, but have found nothing on this aspect yet. In his current manic episode, he has taken no accountability for his actions, and instead is taking the approach seen in drug/alcohol addicts; minimizing, justifying, rationalizing, blaming others, and lying. For one of many examples, he traded in my daughter's car (in her name - forged her signature), bought a brand new one they can't afford right now (all this without her knowledge), and then totalled the car within a week. He then lied about the car being wrecked. He said it broke down so was in the shop being fixed under warranty. So here's my question. When in a manic state, can personalities change temporarily? Using this example, I can chalk off the irrational purchase of the car and the wrecking of it to the mania. But what about the lying? Is that a temporary issue related to the mania, or is it a (defective) personality/emotional immaturity that we just never realized since prior to the mania, we'd never seen him put to the test/under pressure?

Thanks so much for your input. I'm just trying to figure out if managing the mania through medications will eventually help all of this, or if he has other (personality/emotional) issues that also need to be addressed unrelated to the mania.

monkeybee responded:
Hi An_249671 and welcome to the board. Your son-in-law is responsible for his behavior while manic. However, his personality absolutely can change and he will likely feel guilty for it later. Does he normally lie?

When I was younger, I was diagnosed with Bipolar and I told heinous lies...heinous. I am not a liar now, nor was I a liar prior to this episode. I was just very out of my head. I still hold guilt for things I said and did back then. I am thankful that my family stood by me and understood that I was ill because when I was better, I was back to myself.

Another episode I had recently was competely different and I didn't lie, but I did wreak havoc in other ways. Is your son-in-law taking his medications and working with his doctors? It can be a long process but if he is trying, you can get him back. I wish you luck in your process. If you would like medical answers to any questions, put "Doctor G" in the subject line of your posts and he will help. I wish you and your family hope in this process.

MonkeyBee

monkeybee replied to monkeybee's response:
Also, my mom read a book...I believe the title was "Helping someone with mental illness." It really helped her a lot during that time. And she can recognize irregular behaviors in me now and is helping my husband understand. I hope that helps you a little.

Concerned_Mother_in_Law replied to monkeybee's response:
Thanks so much for your insight. It was really helpful. In answer to 'does he normally lie'? Tough to answer...yes he has lied in the past but I suspect all of the lies have been associated with manic or depressive episodes when he's done things he still deep down knew were wrong and felt ashamed to admit. He has been bipolar for years...I figured it out 3 years ago but since that time he and his family have lived in denial until this last episode that is so horrific. His family is still in denial but he has recently agreed to treatment. I've researched the meds he's been prescribed and found he probably wasn't being prescribed correctly. (He's seeing a nurse practictioner in a small town/county mental health facility - only resource nearby. He has also stressed over and over to the NP that he can't take mental health drugs because they impact him so strongly and differently than everyone else, which I believe is more of a belief than a reality, so I think she's prescribed what she thinks he'll take.) I sent Dr. G a seperate post and Dr G. has confirmed I've got reason to be concerned with his med plan. So while he is on meds, the meds he's taking haven't/won't stop is current mania, and most likely will not prevent the next bipolar bout either. So I understand your comment about the journey being long and so much appreciate your wish for hope for our family...much needed.

Take care and thanks again!

monkeybee replied to Concerned_Mother_in_Law's response:
I actually read your post to Dr. G too. I know the situation well. Many people in the church told my mom that my behavior was simply demonic because it was so different from me (I was a teen). It wasn't, I'm a Christian with Bipolar Disorder and I hope I will never stop taking medicine again.

I hope this link works: http://www.everydaychristian.com/blogs/post/9480/ .

Show it to his family; it is reality! When my mom read this article she said "this could have been written about us" with differnt circumstances.

monkeybee replied to monkeybee's response:
  • Possible Trigger*...religious link, content. Sorry, forgot to mention.

• Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

NSAIDS and lithiumExpert
    Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (eg, Motrin/ibuprofen, Advil, Naprosyn) raise lithium levels by about 20%. We often therefore say ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    67 of 90 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
    Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.