Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
OK what's the difference? (Rant)
gabzgrl posted:
This is kinda funny. So after meeting some people with similar struggles, who came to the conclusion I was misdiagnosed with schizophrenia---my therapist and psychiatrist now concur that I have Bipolar. And I'm thinking to myself, ok...so what's the difference? Is schizophrenia just a high spectrum of mania then? With Bipolar 2 being on the lower spectrum? Because while I have been managing well for awhile, the whole word schizophrenia bothered me immensely my whole five years of applying it to myself. I had a manic episode when I was about sixteen, and they labelled it schizophrenia because I had some paranoia issues.

It was not until I was put on Geodon that I began actually hallucinating for real, this is after I had a paranoid schizophrenia diagnosis!! The Geodon induced auditory hallucinations which also confused me a lot. I must've had an adverse reaction, another ironic thing is I told my doctor I had a "gut feeling" it might tip me over or make me worse. I didn't do it on purpose. I was actually right. The Geodon made me worse as I had feared. She forced me to take it as a young girl, and so once again--I'm stuck on medications that are making me sick.

Anyways, my therapist started me on DBT. At first I was all excited. YAY self improvement! My first session between the applause on my great improvements, and my ambivilent, I don't give a crap about this attitude, she came to the conclusion I'm avoiding my emotions...uuuuh....and now IDK, am I?

What emotions? You mean the ones I had before I was stuck on crapola meds that left me sedated and mindless? Or worse, induced psychotic symptoms that could satisfy a false diagnosis? Or better yet, my OCD with having Aspergers because it sounded better, well...until recent news stories made me decide Bipolar was a safer option.

Who is fooling who here? Do I care? I'm on stimulants...because I am too "vacant and spaced out" without them. What was once a symptom of dysphoria and schizophrenia, now apparently is a symptom of years of self neglect because I'm withdrawn and not expressing myself enough? WHaaat? But, if I'm even Bipolar then why aren't these stimulants making me that manic? And if Abilify acts as an upper why is the full dose making me sleepy. LOL.

My biggest problem right now is procrastination. Is DBT really what I need? Am I Bipolar? If so, then that must be better than schizophrenia...although I might as welll stop calling myself crazy. I started feeling proud of my label, even though it wasn't even half of anything my life story entails. The word itself, had nothing to do with me. I know I know, I'm over thinking everything...

I have a pre-occupation with ranting about my problems. Therapy is turning me into a mental health guru to my friends. I know more about psychology than most doctors and clinicians. I've been told by three students, my own therapist, and doctors that I should go into psychology or become an advocate for the mentally ill.

And yet, labels themselves are so meaningless these days. You know? People are just people. I am at odds with the idea of a mental illness.

The other problem is, I still want to know what's wrong chemically with my brain. Is that wrong? To actually want to know exactly what's going on so I can actually fix it? Started taking B12, Melatonin, and folic acid. OOOOOMMMMMGGG I feel amazing! I had no idea vitamins, like vision aids and all these things could actually fix your vision!! I had so much energy after the melatonin too.

slik_kitty responded:
if you are questioning your diagnosis, then see another pdoc. melatonin gave you energy? melatonin is a sleep aid and at the very least would do nothing for you. welcome to the board.

gabzgrl replied to slik_kitty's response:
Thanks for the welcome. Melatonin helped me get a good night's sleep because I took it before bed. That, and the other vitamins did seemed to give me a boost in energy for the day.

jselleck replied to gabzgrl's response:
I totally agree with the Geodon. I used to take it, and it actually made my mania worse, can you believe that??? My last depression cycle I took no anti depressants what so ever (with doctor's okay and supervision of course) and did great!!! And my manic cycle was a lot better too. I don't agree with the use of Geodon at all. And they're starting to prescribe it for arthritis and other pain problems now. I totally disapprove of that. I have joint issues in just about every part of my body and the Geodon did nothing for the pain when I took it. I don't think these pharmacists and doctors really know anything about these new drugs. They just listen to the drug companies who only want to make money. For instance I'm on Uloric for an unrelated condition and there's a generic available. But none of the pharmacies in my area who accept my insurance carry it. And I live in a large metropolitan area and have a well known and widely accepted insurance provider. Go figure!!! They just want to rob us of our money. Like all these idiots who keep griping about Obama's health care plan. I just want to smack those idiots stupid and say you have to have car insurance to legally drive in this country, what's the difference between that and health insurance?? Especially when the average ER bill is between 800 and 1500 dollars. And that's if you're lucky. And don't get me started about mental health costs. We'll be here all day. Any way, welcome to the board and drop in and rant any time. It's good therapy and good for the soul.

JSelleck

snowyowl33 replied to gabzgrl's response:
Welcome to the board,

Melatonin is a very good natural sleep aid that the body itself also produces when it becomes dark outside. It's also good for re adjusting your sleep cycle after a long flight and with jet lag. I have used Melatonin many many times in my life for both reasons.

B12 is what will be giving you your energy. It is known for that, and people sometimes get vitamin B12 shots to help with low energy.
Vegetarians and Vegans are always low in B12 as it's hard to get in your diet if you don't eat meat. All of the B vitamins (both in pill form and in the green leafy vegetable form) in general make you feel better.

Snowy
People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost. Dalai Lama

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

NSAIDS and lithiumExpert
Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (eg, Motrin/ibuprofen, Advil, Naprosyn) raise lithium levels by about 20%. We often therefore say ... More
Was this Helpful?
67 of 90 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.