Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Recently diagnosed with Bipolar II, went trough the denial phase now my relationship is suffering
Cbw06 posted:
I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder a few months ago and am now going through the medboard process to be medically separated from the navy. Not only did I go through denial but now my relationship is suffering so greatly from my inability to control this disease the medication that I am taking makes me a complete zombie I take 500 mg of lamictal a day and klonopin as necessary for anxiety. I went through a long period of time where I didn't believe that this was happening to me and I felt completely hopeless and now I'm terrified its ruining my relationship does anyone have any tools to help him and I both to understand what is happening?

ddnos responded:
Hi, and welcome to the board!

I'm sorry that things aren't going well for you right now.

I don't have any answers to your last question right now, but I do have one for you. You said that your medication makes you feel like a zombie. I'm curious, how long have you been taking your meds? Sometimes (oftentimes) meds will make you feel worse before better and could take 4-6 weeks before you start noticing a positive difference. So if you're just in the beginning weeks of trying those meds, then as your doc is probably saying, hang in there for a while longer to see if they will work for you. However, if you've been taking them much longer than that and you still feel like a "zombie" then I would discuss this with your pdoc because they should not have you feeling like that if they are working for you. So make sure that you are communicating with your pdoc about your meds re side effects and specifically how they are or are not working - be specific. The meds you are on right now may not end up being the right ones for you, and the only way your pdoc will know that is by what you tell him/her. But don't settle for "zombie." You do not have to live like that just because of a bipolar diagnosis. Sometimes it could take a while to get the right med(so) for you, but never settle!

For help with leaerning tools to help you - the best place for that is a good therapist! A good therapist can help you learn new and better coping skills and undo old thinking patterns, etc.

Hang in there and know that a diag of bipolar does not mean a life sentence of misery or an unsatisfied, unhappy life. One with bipolar can be just as functional in this world and fulfilled as anyone else - they just might have to work at it a bit harder at times, but they can do it - we can do it!

Debbie
Forgiveness is letting go of the hope that the past could have been any different --Unknown

jselleck replied to ddnos's response:
First, I totally agree with Debbie. Your best resource is a good therapist. Baring that, try these two books. The Bipolar Survival Guide, and Bipolar for Dummies. I forget who wrote the first one, and can't find my copy (grrrrr), and the second is by the same people who wrote the popular dummies series. Haven't read the second, but the first is awesome!!! My family has this phobia about mental illness and I gave the survival guide to my grandmother as a gift, and she's much more understanding of my condition now. I wish you the best of luck, and welcome to the board.

JSelleck

Cbw06 replied to jselleck's response:
Thank you very much for responding to my post. I am currently in the military trying to find help for my disorder as I am in the process of being medically separated for it. The resources of therapists is extremely limited within the military you tend to have to wait a month to a month and a half at a time just to be seen by someone. Because i have Bipolar disorder I am considered a psychiatric case, therefore cant be seen by just the regular counselors that are more readily available to people. I have been told by numerous people to do research online, but as you may know... there are tons of good information and tons of bad information out there on the great world wide web so its definitely hard to navigate! I will have to check out to find that book! THanks so much!

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

Differentiating bipolar disorder from borderline personality disorderExpert
Borderline personality disorder is a condition in which people can very easily become angry and upset in response to stresses -- especially ... More
Was this Helpful?
108 of 125 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.