Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
One step forward
ddnos posted:
I just wanted to share this with those who may know the saga with my mom and her husband...........On Monday, she has a consultation appointment with a lawyer for the purpose of just gathering information of what are her rights legally and what would happen were she to divorce Jeff, and basically, what are her options! My brother will be going with her to help her understand and to "be" her memory.

I'm so excited that she made the choice to do this. I know that it doesn't mean that she's going to divorce the guy, but it's a step closer, and one that she wouldn't have even considered just 6 months ago! I hope things go well!

Anyway, just wanted to share. I'm normally not one who pushes divorce lik I have with my mom, but there are times where it's best; this, being one of those times.

Have a great day!
Debbie
Forgiveness is letting go of the hope that the past could have been any different --Unknown

monkeybee responded:
I saw your last post on this; I'm glad to hear she is making progress and, it seems, taking a step in the right direction. I know that brings you relief also.

Did you hear back from your doctor about your new medication? Are you doing better now? I hope so!

Have a great weekend!

ddnos replied to monkeybee's response:
Hi monkeybee,

Yeah, I'm very glad she's going and my brother is going with her!

Is the med you are referring to the sleeping pill that caused me to hallucinate? lol If that's the one, yes, she called me this mroning..my therapist also emaled me because apparently, I emailed her and she was concerned and wanted me to contact my doctor and to get back to her when i do...and to NOT take any more of those meds. lol I mean, seriously! what do they think I am, stupid, that I would continue taking them? lol

So back to working on combo of what i was taking...sheeeeeeesh, nothing like seeing bill cosby and jimmy fallon walking out of your tv set. lol

You have a great weekend too!
Debbie
Forgiveness is letting go of the hope that the past could have been any different --Unknown

snowyowl33 responded:
Great News Doodles, I hope things go really well, and glad to hear bro is going with her. Keep us posted.

Have you tried Melatonin and or a herbal tea at night to help you sleep? Peppermint (In loose herbal form) is good, and so is the store brand of Sleepy Time which also has an extra strength form. Lemon Verbana is relaxing and catnip and mint tea (loose herbs again) mixed is good too (tho should not be taken by pregnant women) ......

Snowy
People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost. Dalai Lama

skypper replied to ddnos's response:
I'm behind on the topic but hope things all work out for the best interest of your mom and think it's great your brother is going along with her for support! I'm not one to favor divorce either but there are times when it's a necessity...
And hopefully no more hallucinations for you, though Bill Cosby and Jimmy Fallon??? Man! What a party that would be!!!!
~Sky~
When nothing's going right, go left!

ddnos replied to snowyowl33's response:
Thanks Snowy! TOmorrow's the big day for my mom and I hope it turns out well. I know it doens't mean that she will go any further than that, but at least it's a first step.

Re help for sleep - teas don't do anything for me. You see, the reason that I have insomnia in the first place is a siide effect of Nardil - so I've had the problem for going on 21 years. As a result of taking nardil long term, I have an overload of adrenaline in my system, which is what makes it hard to sleep normally consistantly. I have periods of time where I do sleep better - of course, when I'm working I do sleep better w/o the use of any sleeping aid. But I generally only sleep 6 hrs even on good nights. Now, I consistenly wake up after 4 hrs even with sleeping aid. So we're just trying to find something that will help on a more consistent basis, but the fact that I'm not employed right now is working against me. Also, currently I've been sick, so I've been sleeping more. lol Sheeeeeesh! Can't win for losing. lol

Thanks for your suggestions though. Oh, and re melatonin -it seems that I can't take that, if I remember correctly.

Hugs
Debbie

ddnos replied to skypper's response:
lol re the hallucinations! I found at least 6 emails in my sent box of emails that I wrote while hallucinating and oh my goodness, I cracked up! lol I have NO reccolleciton of writing them! So needless to say, no more ambien for me! lol But it was quite cool having Bill Cosby and Jimmy Fallon sitting at the edge of my TV having a conversation with me. Roflol

Re my mom - you don't want to be "caught up" on the situation with her and her husband. lol In fact, I wish I weren't either! I don't know that she will ever leave him, but at least she's willing to take this first step. I'm proud of her for that!

As much as I just HATE how Jeff treats my mom and I believe that she should leave him - she may not be emotionally or mentally ready for such a move and could even be worse for her if pushed, you know? Just because everyone around her thinks she should leave him, doesn't mean she's able to for whatever reason. She's almost 80 years old and that's a huge move for anyone, let alone someone her age! Plus, if fear is what's holding her back, fear can be a strong force to try to fight against, and sometimes we are willing to live with the consequences of not doing what we're afraid of as opposed to going against the fear. I know that to be true in my own life with certain things. So in that regard, I can't judge my mom for not doing anything about her situation, you know?

Debbie

skypper replied to ddnos's response:
Oh yes, I can totally understand what you're saying here re:your mom, well in her own time and way she'll have to decide what she wants and whats best for her and as your family you just love and support her decisions, is all any of us can really do, no?

And I didn't get any funny or strange emails from you least not that "I" can remember I think I'm developing Alzheimer's or something for real over here I forget things I shouldn't. For example: sometimes I'll be driving along and then I can't remember where I was going...good thing is I almost always have a kid or 3 with me so I ask them where were we going , lol!
~Sky~
When nothing's going right, go left!

bpcookie responded:
oohhhhhhh, Its wonderful that your mother is taking steps to divorce her jerk....eeerrr I mean husband. I know this will take alot of stress off of you too. Good news honey
You may go through life hearing a 1000 NO's but don't give up because your YES is out there waiting for you.- (Something my father told me.)

ddnos replied to skypper's response:
LOL Michelle - maybe you have some-timers, huh? lol

ddnos replied to bpcookie's response:
Thanks Cookie! Just FYI - this appt tomorrow is not to proceed with a divorce, but just to gather information about her rights, would she have to split her retirement money with him, etc. This will give her more information that could help her in her decision to divorce or not, but doesn't mean that she has decided to indeed divorce. If she does divorce him, I want it to be entirely her decision and not because we (her family) pushed her too hard, you know? I still do want her to leave that blankity blank blank blank lol but I want her to be able to make that choice for herself in part because she's so used to doing what HE wants her to do, not what she wants! Sometimes I don't know if she even knows what she wants anymore. Sigh.

Thanks for your support!
Debbie

jselleck replied to ddnos's response:
Hi Debs, hope your mom's appt went well. Continue to keep us up to date. I know from my own experience how hard it can be to leave someone you think loves you and has your best interests in mind. Good luck to both of you. Take care.

Jess

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

NSAIDS and lithiumExpert
Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (eg, Motrin/ibuprofen, Advil, Naprosyn) raise lithium levels by about 20%. We often therefore say ... More
Was this Helpful?
68 of 91 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.