Skip to content

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
When to seek hospitalization
Cooper32 posted:
Hi,

It's been about 2 years since I was officially diagnosed with Bipolar I Disorder. Since then my doctor and I have been trying different medications and I was fine for a while but it's recently spun out of control. I'm constantly exhausted from the back and forth and frustrated that, years later, I'm still not stabilized. Does anyone know if hospitalization would be helpful until I can get it together? I've never been so I don't know what it's like/if it's helpful.

Thanks so much to anyone who can offer some insight.

KT

slik_kitty responded:
it can be helpful because you see a doctor daily to monitor your progress, but most meds aren't totally effective until 4-6 weeks after you stop taking them. ask your pdoc what he/she thinks. welcome to the board.

skypper replied to slik_kitty's response:
I think kitty meant to say they aren't effective until 4-6 weeks after you START taking them, not stop.
~Sky~
When nothing's going right, go left!

Cooper32 replied to skypper's response:
Thank you to both of you. I have an appt with my therapist tomorrow so I'll ask his opinion. Thanks!

slik_kitty replied to skypper's response:
oops, i wasn't awake yet. that's my story and i'm sticking to it. lol

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

Medications for BPD
Please get a second opinion if you have chronic problems with your BPD medication. I changed doctors and got a proper diagnosis from ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.