Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Mother, son relationship
An_249768 posted:
Is it appropriate for a mother of a 15 year old son to ritualistically sit next to her son at night on the couch, holding his hand, put her leg over his, and pull his hand onto her leg and in between them? She tells her son how much she loves him, puts her arm around his neck and sets for hours like this.She use to rub noises with her son as they sat next to each other but have started kissing on the check now. Son has reached Puberty and is aware of the opposite sex although he doesn't have female friends his age to associate with. Son has Downs Syndrome and is very withdrawn when he is not around his mother( head and eyes down, voice inaudible and movement very slow.) Am I looking at this wrong?

bpcookie responded:
Are you a friend, family member or? Just wondering how you fit into all of this. Its hard to say whats right and whats wrong. The only way someone could judge their behavior is if that person lives in the same house. Also, what one person may see as normal, another person may see as abnormal.
You may go through life hearing a 1000 NO's but don't give up because your YES is out there waiting for you.- (Something my father told me.)

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

NSAIDS and lithiumExpert
Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (eg, Motrin/ibuprofen, Advil, Naprosyn) raise lithium levels by about 20%. We often therefore say ... More
Was this Helpful?
67 of 90 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.