Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Fri. Dr. Phil topic - Bipolar and mental illness
ddnos posted:
For anyone interested, I just saw that tomorrow's show (Friday 11th) on the Dr. Phil Show is titled, "Bipolar and Mentally ill Moms" you may be interested in watching. Here's an exserpt of what it says about the show:

"Dr. Phil goes behind the stigma of mental illness to show how it's affecting two families. Amanda, 24, is a mother of two who says she's bipolar, and that during manic episodes, she becomes violent and screams, yells and shakes. Find out what Dr. Phil cameras capture at her home. Amanda says that despite her illness, her sister, Rianne, and mom, Lori, are insensitive and mean to her — but they say they believe Amanda may be taking advantage of her diagnosis. Rianne says Amanda acts out and uses her illness as an excuse — including an incident in which Rianne claims Amanda punched her in the face and lied to police about it. What does Dr. Phil think is behind Amanda's behavior? And, does he believe she is bipolar? Then, Jenny is a 53-year-old mother of three who says she suffers from dissociative identity disorder, formally known as multiple personality disorder. She says she has 22 "alters," who she calls "parts of me." Jenny reveals the traumatic childhood experiences that she believes caused her to take on multiple personalities. And, Jenny's son, Robert, 30, shares what life was like growing up with Jenny. Then, Jenny's biographer, Judy, a retired therapist who wrote 22 Faces, based on Jenny's journals and their sessions together, joins the show to defend herself against accusations that she may be exploiting Jenny. Go inside the world of real-life families rocked by mental illness in this all-new Dr. Phil!"

Anyway, just thougth I'd post in case anyone is interested in watching it.

Debbie
Forgiveness is letting go of the hope that the past could have been any different --Unknown

monkeybee responded:
I don't usually watch this show, but I'm setting the DVR. Thanks Debbie!

ddnos replied to monkeybee's response:
you're welcome
Forgiveness is letting go of the hope that the past could have been any different --Unknown

jselleck replied to ddnos's response:
I saw that too. Gonna make Matt watch it. He hates that show, but I think he'll give in. Have a good day guys.

ddnos replied to jselleck's response:
lol jessica - I actually love Dr. Phil. I like how he pulls no punches and he really tries to hold people accountable for thier behavior. He not only tries to help them on TV, but will often provide them with help after the show. It's my opinion that some people don't like him because of his no nonsence way of thinking and doing and some people don't want to hear what he has to say because it hits too close to home. They would actually have to DO something to make changes in thier behavior.

Debbie

slik_kitty responded:
sounds like another exploitation of the mentally ill. the last time i watched him, he did a horrible job with a bipolar person. changed my view of him from someone who is helpful to just another person out there to make money off of people with problems.

ddnos replied to slik_kitty's response:
Hi Kitty,

When I saw that he was having a show on the topic, my initial thought was that I wished that it was more of an informative angle. Then I realized that whenever he does any or most topics, it's based on a specific "case" or person and because of that, would not and could not give a totally real picture of the topic. When I read the exerpt about the show, sure enough, that's how the topic will be addressed. I just thought I would put it out there in case anyone was interested in seeing it. I don't know personally how I will feel about how he addressees the issue, but just from the exerpt, it looks like he may at least in part go at it from the standpoint of just because one has a mental illness, doesn't mean they can excuse certain behaviors. I do believe that there are lots of people who do that with any kind of disability, i.e. use that disability to excuse certain behaviors.

So I don't think this will be a show that teaches much about bipolar in and of itself.

Also, I don't see Dr. Phil as someone just out to make money off peoples problems; however, I don't know his heart so don't know if that's true or not. He may or may not get sucked into that trap some or all of the time, but I do believe that his overall message transcends any motive he may have. Just my opinion, but I also respect yours.

We'll see how he approaches the topic of bipolar and DID
today, eh? It could be totally crappy. lol

Debbie

jselleck replied to ddnos's response:
Could be. I remember watching an episode of Morrry a few years ago that was just horrible. I turned the tv off half way through it. Today's show should be better. I like Dr Phil when I can catch it. He's on at 3pm on our local station and half the time I'm either gone or Matt's home and he complains through the entire show. Got my fingers crossed that he stays asleep so I can watch it. Sometimes having a husband who's a day sleeper is a good thing. Lol. Enjoy my friends!!!!

J

ddnos replied to jselleck's response:
lol J - here on the west coast, Dr. Phil is on twice - once at 2 p.m. on KING and then again at 8 p.m. on KONG lol So if I miss the afternoon, I can always watch the evening.

slik_kitty replied to ddnos's response:
king kong???? roflmaooooooooooooooooooooo

ddnos replied to slik_kitty's response:
Hey Kitty, I just live here! lol

ibex7 replied to ddnos's response:
ROFLMbuttO . . . . . . Three days later . . . . . .

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

new
hello everyone.. new to this..hope to talk to others who knows how it is having bipolar. More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.