Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Includes Expert Content
Dr G. Abilify and joint pain
monkeybee posted:
Hi!

How common is joint and muscle pain on Abilify? When I started taking 10 mg, I was having muscle pain that I am certain was related to the medicine, but the pain stopped after a few days or so. Now, I am taking 20 mg (for about 3 weeks) and the joints and muscles in my right knee and a little in my right hip are really bothering me. Is it the medicine? If so, should I stop taking it right away or wait until I go back to the doctor to discuss?

Thank you!

jselleck responded:
I was on that med when I was first diagnosed. Be very careful taking this med. The first few months I had no problems, but after that I had all kinds of freaky mood swings. My doc upped my dosage, but I still had problems. He finally got a clue and took me off it. Forget what he put me on after that, but I did much better. Just a word of advice. Oh, and never ever stop a med cold turkey. Always consult with your prescribing doctor first.

JSelleck

monkeybee replied to jselleck's response:
Thank you! Proceeding with caution!

Joseph F Goldberg, MD responded:
Dear monkeybee,

Joint pain is not especially common with Abilify or other antipsychotics, especially is the discomfort you notice is specific to a particular region (rather than diffuse, everywhere). Worth asking your primary care doctor to evaluate the specific joints that are painful.

Dr. G.

monkeybee replied to Joseph F Goldberg, MD's response:
Thanks so much Dr. G. My sister siad "welcome to the world of getting old." LOL. If it gets worse or doesn't go away, I will go to my PCP.

Thanks again,
Sarah

jselleck replied to monkeybee's response:
36 must really be old then, because I ache all over!!! Lol.

ddnos replied to jselleck's response:
lol J, well I"ve ached almost all over since about age 15, and THAT'S old! lol
Forgiveness is letting go of the hope that the past could have been any different --Unknown

monkeybee replied to ddnos's response:
LOL, both of you. My sister is almost 11 years older than me so she is always knocking on my age and me hers .

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

TO DROP MY WEIGHT, I DROPPED THE DIET SOFT DRINKS.
Been on Zonegran for about five years and a type II diabetic for 35 years using metaformin and insulin. It appears the jury is in for me on ... More
Was this Helpful?
6 of 10 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.