Skip to content


Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Includes Expert Content
ana33 posted:
hi i am told this is also bipolar, I need help and knowledge in getting the voices and hullanitaions to stop for 3 years they have given 6 mg of risperidone and 300 mg of mellaril it has not stoped and i am told there is nothing else for this disorder is there any help?
melly2210 responded:
Of course there are other medications available. You probably need to switch doctors. My dh is schizoaffective, and yes, it is bipolar-like. He takes a cocktail of meds, but he still has the occasional auditory hallucination, but they're pretty minimal. More of thinking someone has said something to him when no one has. He's gotten very good at distinguishing between the a/v hallucinations and reality.

Dr G may be better equipped to tell you which meds to bring up to your pdoc.

Hope is that thing with feathers that perches in the soul and sings the tune without the words and never stops... at all. ~Emily Dickinson
Joseph F Goldberg, MD responded:
Dear ana,

The term schizoaffective describes conditions in which manic or depressive episodes are accompanied by psychosis (ie, delusions or hallucinations) and then there also occur times in which psychosis occurs with no mood symptoms present. Antipsychotic medicines are the mainstay of treatment for schizoaffective disorder, often in combination with mood stabilizers such as lithium or Depakote. Virtually all antipsychotics have been studied in schizoaffective disorder, although technically, the only one approved by the FDA (ie, the only one for which a drug company went to the time and trouble and financial effort to have their product approved by the FDA for a particular indication) is Invega, which is a derivative of risperidone and not so likely to be much different from it. However there are many other antipsychotics that likely merit consideration, worth discussing with your doctor.

Dr. G.

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

Differentiating bipolar disorder from borderline personality disorderExpert
Borderline personality disorder is a condition in which people can very easily become angry and upset in response to stresses -- especially ... More
Was this Helpful?
114 of 131 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.