Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
*trigger* Anniversary date
Vintage13 posted:
I am reaching the anniversary date of my suicide attempt. And it seems like all I am able to do lately is think about that time. I'm not sure if I'm again sliding to be suicidal or if I am just dwelling on that time. I am afraid to say anything to my family or doctor in fear that they will take what I am saying wrong. I don't know what to do right now and needed a place to reach out safely.

slik_kitty responded:
it's best to bring it up with your doc cuz he/she will be able to help you get over this time period. do you have a therapist? that would be best to help you get over this.

monkeybee replied to slik_kitty's response:
I agree with slik_kitty 100%. You should tell your doctor. Here is the link to a blog post I read recently. Please note before you go that this could be a trigger.

Trigger*

The title alone is I Want to Attempt Suicide but Not Die. I know this doesn't apply to you entirely but it does speak to the importance of telling your doctor and when and how to do it.

Trigger*

The link is: http://natashatracy.com/bipolar-disorder/attempt-suicide-not-die/

Thanks!
monkeybee

monkeybee replied to monkeybee's response:
Trigger*

Please note that I am referring you to the section of the article about (Trigger*) What to Do Instead of Attempting Suicide and mean no implications in sharing the article!! My heart breaks for how you must be feeling!

Thanks again!

monkeybee replied to monkeybee's response:
Sorry for so many replies. I want to share the part of the blog that I think is relevant so you can hear it in case you think the article itself may be too difficult. I don't know about copyright rules, but the link to Natasha Tracy's full blog post is listed just above. Read below:

"Talking about suicide is infinitely better than actually doing it. Tell your doctor about the desperation you are feeling. Tell your doctor what you feel that desperation is leading you to. Make it very clear that you need your disorder to be taken as seriously as a ****** heart attack. Maybe that means new meds. Maybe that means referral to another doctor. Maybe that means considering other options. Whatever it means, it means something and it means something now."

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

NSAIDS and lithiumExpert
Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (eg, Motrin/ibuprofen, Advil, Naprosyn) raise lithium levels by about 20%. We often therefore say ... More
Was this Helpful?
67 of 90 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.