Skip to content

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Includes Expert Content
Dr. G ? abouth Saphris
lovingmomwithbipolarson posted:
My son is taking 5 mg of saphris 1x at bed, the cherry flavor. He has also been taking depakote but is slowing coming off of the depakote. I think he has responded better to the saphris than the depakote. The small amount seems to work better than the other meds he has tried up to this point (3 years). What is your opinion about taking saphris long term to treat bipolar 1? I have to say that I am very impressed with the results from such a small amount of medication.

lovingmomwithbipolarson responded:
Dr. G ?

Joseph F Goldberg, MD responded:
Dear Lovingmom,

Saphris has short-term data for treating mania but no long-term data for preventing mania or depression. The usual standard of care is to have a mood stabilizer, such as Depakote, as the mainstay for relapse prevention, with a therapeutic level. Saphris may be a useful adjunct.

Dr. G.

lovingmomwithbipolarson replied to Joseph F Goldberg, MD's response:
The saphris has helped with the depression, sleep, and psychosis. May will be a year since he's been on it and I have to say that this is the best he's been out of the 3 years since he was diagnosed. He doesn't like taking alot of meds and the saphris seems to work so well with just the one dose so he wanted to stop taking the depakote. I will go to his next appointment and discuss it with his dr.

Thank you for your time.

Joseph F Goldberg, MD replied to lovingmomwithbipolarson's response:
Dear Lovingmom, I never argue with success . Dr. G.

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

Kee pyour head up
Don't let this illness bring you down. Always keep you head to the sky because someone is watching you and I. Sometimes this illness can ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.