Skip to content

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Lack of Motivation
ddnos posted:
I know that a lack of motivation can be, and often is, a symptom of depression - the lack of motivation that makes it feel near impossible to do simple, everyday tasks or more complicated tasks. But is lack of motivation always indicitive of various levels of depression or can there sometimes be a distinct difference between the two? Can lack of motivation sometimes just be or primarily be laziness or learned behavior? How are some ways that one can get out of that rut of lack of motivation no matter what the cause is?

Obviously, I'm asking these questions because I go through phases of this lack of motivation and am currently in one. Sometimes it may only last for a day and other times a bit longer. Sometimes I know that it's because I'm depressed, but other times, I'm not so sure, but it just feels like I'm being lazy and that if I'd just push myself extra hard during those times, I could get up and do whatever it is I'm not doing. I have for so long had this problem with lack of internal motivation and I wish that I could overcome it. I have internal motivation for some things, but then a whole slew of other things, I need the external motivation to get me to go; and even that doesn't always work if I'm depressed. I admire those people who have a strong sense of internal drive and motivation and wish I could be like that. I've been reading some thing on the topic, and one thing that I read is that what we do with lack of motivation is choice, meaning, I can still choose to go to the grocery store even if I'm lacking motivation to do it, or I can choose not to. That may seem like a no brainer, but when lacking motivation, going to the grocery store can be a huge task! I do believe that in examples like that, it IS a choice. I think that when one is moderately to severely depressed, then more often then not, simply "choosing" to do things is not an option.

Anyway, this is one of the topics going around in my brain and one that I would like to improve in my own life. I would also love to hear any of your thoughts on the matter - if you have any ways that you personally deal with when you experience moments or periods of lack of motivation and what you do about it, that would be great too!

Thanks for listening, and now I'm going to take a shower - something my lack of motivation today has kept me from doing up to this point! lol

Debbie
Forgiveness is letting go of the hope that the past could have been any different --Unknown
FirstPrevious12NextLast

ddnos responded:
bump
Forgiveness is letting go of the hope that the past could have been any different --Unknown

margaroo responded:
Debbie,

I go through what you describe often....guilt and all. Personally I think it is part of my depression. I also like to isolate myself.

I'll get myself out of my room, drive to the store and bring gallons of chocolate ice cream over to you. I'm with you sister, and I am not kidding.

Hundred of hugs,

Maggie
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

ddnos replied to margaroo's response:
{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{Maggie}}}}}}}}}}} Hey there Maggie! Great to see you! How've you been?

I'm sorry that you can relate, though I'm certain many people can to some degree or another. I know that it's not something unique and reserved only for those with a mental illness - it's a universal condition - some people are just better at it than others and or may be good at pushing themselves even when they don't "feel" like it. Sigh!

Your talk of ice cream has made me realize that I'm hungry, but I really should be getting to bed. Today has been one of those days where I was not very productive, and I hate that. I managed some things, but then got distracted and forgot to finish them. lol Sheeeeesh! I think I just need a new brain!

Again, good to see you!
Hugs
Debbie

slik_kitty responded:
I think it may, in part, be a personality thing or an upbringing thing. even in the deepest depression, i never just lay around doing nothing. i just can't imagine staying in jammies all day, let alone staying in bed all day. every day i would get up, get dressed and start my day. housework suffered, but that's cuz i hate doing it in the first place and depression gave me a reason to not do it. he he he. i always had clean clothes and food in the house though. of course i could just be an aberration and everyone else is normal in reaction to depression.

ddnos replied to slik_kitty's response:
Hey Kitty, yes, I definately believe that it has a lot to do with personality, and excuse me, but your type just make me sick! Roflol. I would also agree that everyone else is normal...ummm, yeah, that's what I said. lol

CanadianDyanne replied to ddnos's response:
Debbie pooh pie I'm about to give you some hard love girl.

I too have Slik's personality.
I have a brain (yes the did a Cat scan, its really in there) that cant hush up about the things I want/need/desire/crave/must/have to do.
Now tho I have a body that says, 'biotch get over it'.

I say this with all the gently love in the world my sweet lil Debs. If your physical body can do it, you throw that motivation gear into turbo 6 and GO GO GO GO, get your arse off the sofa and dont look back! Heck take a long clean undies in case you never come back
oh, and while you're out in the real world, stop off long enough to have ice cream for two, me and you.
MUAH

ddnos replied to CanadianDyanne's response:
LOL Dyanne - ummm, that's just it, when you lack motivation, "getting your arse off the sofa and not looking back" is kind of like trying to run a race when your legs are numb - you have to wait until the numbness goes out of your leg. It's just no fair! lol You motivated type don't have to work as hard to get motivated because it comes more naturaly to you; so for someone like me to get motivated, it's a monumental accomplishment. lol

So go to your room, missy! lol

Debbie

ttsmile responded:
I am the motivated type person, but I can say that there are times when I don't have any motivation, and I am not depressed. Sometimes all I have to get done becomes a little overwhelming, and I am just plain unmotivated, but again, not depressed. Normally I live in hyperdrive, and get a lot done.

slik_kitty replied to ddnos's response:
here's what you do dd. you get one of us motivated types to stay at your house. we will so annoy you that you will get dressed and get out of the house just to get away from us.

ddnos replied to slik_kitty's response:
lol Kitty, that sounds good and all, but the problem with it is that, that would be considered external motiavation, something I'm realy good at - what I want more of is internal motivation! lol So come up with something to fix that for me, Ok, my genius! lol

Debbie

skypper replied to ddnos's response:
dd, this is something i have ALWAYS struggled with myself too. A lot of times I will sit there and wonder at these people who just seemingly have it all, they go-go-go and get everything done and more! I call them dolphins because they've always got those dolphin smiles and bounce about, get it done energy goin on.
They make me feel like more of a starfish or an oyster in that I just go with the flow and where and what I absolutely HAVE to but not the ability or drive to do or go much more else...
Ok, lately I have fallen out of habit very badly BUT this is what i used to do & what I'm trying to get back into the groove of doing:
I tell myself, ok self (yes I talk to myself, so what!) you do this and when we're done you can lay back down or do as little as you want, but 1st we HAVE to go for this walk/trip t the market/gym/meeting/appt/whatever-it-is, just go make an appearance, you don't have to stay the whole time but just try it and if when we're done you still feel tired and not like doing much then we'll go take a nap or watch a movie or whatever you want to do.
And that usually helped because I didn't feel so stuck or tired about it. And I usually wound up getting done much more than what I had initially planned on doing.
~Sky~
When nothing's going right, go left!

CanadianDyanne replied to ddnos's response:
I just wanted to make you smile more than anything hehe.

Oh I fully understand and there are so many levels we have to deal with.
1. lack of motivation, mental
2. want but cant, physical
3. just lazy, regardless lol
4. the 'I dont cares' which is something I get a lot and THAT even depresses me more! grrrrrr
Maybe its the weather there? I know in warmer times you seem to keep out and about more often.
btw, I did go to my room, but I had to come back to the office to smack you w a tub of ice cream. BAM

skypper replied to CanadianDyanne's response:
~Sky~
When nothing's going right, go left!

ddnos replied to skypper's response:
Roflol Michelle! Love it!!

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

Differentiating bipolar disorder from borderline personality disorderExpert
Borderline personality disorder is a condition in which people can very easily become angry and upset in response to stresses -- especially ... More
Was this Helpful?
110 of 127 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.