Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Includes Expert Content
Struglling with Bi-polar one
aferra04 posted:
Hello everyone, my name is Ashley and I am new to the community. I wanted to introduce myself and start a discussion about bi-polar 1, which is my diagnose. Right now I am doing well with my illness, I just came out of the hospital two weeks ago due to a severe depressive episode. Dr G. this was my first depressive episode, and I've had two maniac episode already and I am only 24, is there any chance that now I have cycled both qways my moods may not spiral into episodes?

bpcookie responded:
Hello Aferra, I just wanted to say that its nice to meet you and welcome to the board.
WebMD Health Ambassador, BpCookie

Anneinside responded:
I don't know what you know about bipolar but it is a life-long disorder. If you are lucky you will find the right meds for you which will control your manias and depressive episodes most of the time. Please recognize that if you are doing well on medication that your bipolar hasn't ended but that your meds are working so you should stay on them.

I suggest that you read a few books about bipolar. The first one I would suggest is Bipolar for Dummies. It is clear, doesn't assume that you know anything when the book starts, well written and accurate. If you want to read a life story, then I would suggest An Unquiet Mind about a psychologist, Kay Redfield Jamison, who has Bipolar I.

Joseph F Goldberg, MD responded:
Dear aferra04,

Bipolar disorder is a lifelong illness and medicines, if effective, put the symptoms into remission, rather than eliminate the illness. After two lifetime manias, most experts usually recommend indefinite (possibly lifelong) medication treatment, since the chances for more relapses are high, but may be less with medications.

Good luck!

Dr. G.

aferra04 replied to bpcookie's response:
Hello bpcookie! Thank you for the warm welcome. I am really excited about joining this community. I feel that it will be a valuable resource in managing my lifelong illness.

aferra04 replied to Anneinside's response:
Thank you for the advice Anneinside. I like your username Accepting that my illness is lifelong has been the hardest thing for me. Sometimes I feel that I have accepted it, but other times the thought of living with this forever is overwhelming. I know that due to the nature of my illness medication therapy is very important but I struggle with the fact that my medications may need to change throughout my life. I do not tolerate meds well, so I am hoping that this new lithium regiment will be the key. So far so good
I bought myself an unquiet for my 23rd birthday, within my first year of diagnoses. I am glad that you brought it up because now that I have experienced the other extreme of depression it would probably do me good to read it again. Thank you.

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

Bipolar II or BPD?
I have been diagnosed with Bipolar II , OCD, Stress/Anxiety/Social disorders and am currently taking medication. I have noticed that my ... More
Was this Helpful?
6 of 12 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.