Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Trigger: Dr G.: BPD vs BP1
monkeybee posted:
Dr. G,

I just read your article on BPD. I have never had "relationship" issues (ie: always had friends, happily married, etc) and am not agressive. Also, prior to last year, aside from depressions, was stable; I have always been dynamic, but stable. I would lose my temper to the extreme on very rare occasions (perhaps mania that I was unaware of?) and rarely cried.

However, ever since the symptoms of my Bipolar returned with a vengeance, I have not been stable at all (or only for very short periods). Its not been as bad as it was (no psychosis) but I have been very unstable (OFTEN crying very hysterically for no reason), even when I don't feel depressed. Also, when I was young, I was a cutter and the temptation to resort to that has been overwhelming at times. I have thought at times I am better and then suddenly I find myself thinking about suicide. I have also always had very irrational (very irrational) fears--they come and go. I will say, I am never very aware of my moods. I can never say "I am depressed" or "I am manic" very well, only that I don't sleep for long periods and have rapid thoughts and my husband will say "you have a lot of energy" or I find myself sad, and my house a wreck, but still able to care for my kids (although emotionally unavailable to them). Most of the time, if I feel off in any way, I become very isolated, either way. I just wonder, if it is only Bipolar that I have or Bipolar and something else. If only Bipolar why so much instability even now, when I am on meds and unaware of any major mood. How can I ever know what is going on? I am trying so hard to figure all of this out and it frustrates me to no end. Thank you for any imput.

Sarah

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

new
hello everyone.. new to this..hope to talk to others who knows how it is having bipolar. More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.