Skip to content


Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Trouble with more than 1 mental health issue
ladbug413 posted:
I was diagnosed with depression when I was just 13 years old. At age 22 I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder.I dont fully understand bipolar disorder and because of this my boyfriend often becomes frustrated because he doesnt know how to help me.I often have moments where I feel extremely low and I have no desire to do anything or be around anyone.The problem also is that I have a wonderful little girl and I feel like my disorder is affecting my skills as a mom as well as failing to be a good girlfriend.My boyfriend has been more than patient with me over the past three years and I would really like to know what I can do to help him understand my disorder and what (if at all) would be a good age to try and teach my daughter so she can know that no mommys not crazy,she's just suffering.I know how I got the disorder and what has caused it,but understanding it is far from my reach.I'm in therapy but progress is slow.I should be pleased with just having a therapist,but I need more answers than she's giving me.I just need some extra help and support.
slik_kitty responded:
welcome to the board. read bipolar for dummies by candida fink. also have you bf read it. there is a good section in there for family and friends of bp people.
Anneinside replied to slik_kitty's response:
I agree with kitty, Bipolar for Dummies is clearly written and doesn't assume that you know anything when you start the book. Don't waste any time... get the book.

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

Screen out people who can't seem to "get it"....
There are some people who can't or won't understand at all. My wife is bipolar, and some people are more understanding than others. We ... More
Was this Helpful?
37 of 43 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.