Skip to content

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Includes Expert Content
Dr G. Psychiatric meds and pregnancy
An_250162 posted:
Hi Dr. G,

I just found out I'm pregnant and have 2 healthy babies but have also miscarried twice. That said, I am very nervous about my meds. I would love to stop taking them altogether but I know that would be the poorest decision. My main concern is Lamictal. Can you tell me what effects it can have on pregnancy? I don't see my doc for 2 weeks but I have read that spina bifida (sp?) is one of the risks. I know that is problematic in the first trimester. What is the percentage of that risk? Thanks for your help.

sandtiger responded:
I know this wasn't directed toward me, but I wanted to let you know ... when I found out I was pregnant with my son (7 years ago), my doctor at that time told me that of the few women who were pregnant and on Lamictal, they each had happy, healthy babies. More happy, she said, than most other kids she saw.

She lowered my dose a bit to be safe, so while pregnant I was on 100mg/day. I'm happy to say my son turned out to be a very cheerful, very healthy boy who hasn't given me the list bit of trouble in growing (well, except for the usual; terrible-twos and the lawyer-stage and now the 'mommy-look-mommy-mommy-let-me-tell-you-THIS' stage ... lol)

~ San
:: Living is more than just being alive - Anberlin ::

sandtiger replied to sandtiger's response:
Sorry - I meant to say "of the few women SHE TREATED who were pregnant"
:: Living is more than just being alive - Anberlin ::

Joseph F Goldberg, MD responded:
Dear An,

Congratulations on the pregnancy. Lamictal use is not associated with spina bifida in pregnancy, or any other known birth defects. There was a case series of 5 women whose infants had cleft lip/palate out of 565 exposures at one hospital -- the significance of which, if any, is unknown. I have taken a number of patients through pregnancy who were stable on Lamictal uneventfully and there is no reason I can think of to stop an effective drug with no known risk of birth defects in pregnancy. But, this is a critical conversation for you and your husband to have with your own doctor.

Dr. G.

An_250162 replied to sandtiger's response:
Thanks San!

An_250162 replied to Joseph F Goldberg, MD's response:
Thank you Dr. G. That is relieving. I will definitely discuss with my doctor; my husband has been more worried than me. I was reluctant even to wait and I appreciate your response.

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

NSAIDS and lithiumExpert
Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (eg, Motrin/ibuprofen, Advil, Naprosyn) raise lithium levels by about 20%. We often therefore say ... More
Was this Helpful?
69 of 92 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.