Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Hospitalization [Mild Trigger?]
sandtiger posted:
Just recently (last weekend, actually) my doctor had me hospitalized for mania, and because I told him I thought I was unexpectedly pregnant. He immediately said I needed to come off of most of my medications and put me in hospital to do it safely.

The tests that they ran in hospital came up as negative, even though I *know* I'm pregnant (its just a feeling; it's really a week and a half too early to tell). The doctor doing rounds got into an argument with me and I demanded to be released. They also, while I was there, refused to give me ANY medications and by the time I went home I was going through withdrawals.

For the mania I was all over the place - pressured speech, erratic behavior, couldn't sit still, blurting things out ... it was bad. When I was discharged they put on my record "mania with psychosis" because they thought I was delusional (which, in retrospect, they shouldn't have even let me go if they thought that was the case).

I'm worried now that my doc will want to change my meds, and it scares me because I really do still think I'm pregnant.

~ San

ps. Sky, I know I said I'd keep this secret, but this is kind of a confidential board and none of my family or RL friends know about it ... so I won't be 'judged' if I turn out to be delusional.
:: Living is more than just being alive - Anberlin ::

slik_kitty responded:
there are meds you can take while pregnant. can't think of which ones they are though. talk to you pdoc.

congrats if you really are pregnant. hugs

monkeybee responded:
Wow! What a terrible experience!

"which, in retrospect, they shouldn't have even let me go if they thought that was the case" -- well yeah! And I can't imagine why they couldn't give you any meds if you were manic, especially if they thought you were delusional.

Are you still manic? Can you ask your doctor to wait a week or so? If you are preggo you should be positive by then and you will be able to approach it however you and your doctor think best. If you think you may be delusional (do you mean about this??), can you share your thoughts and beliefs explicitly with someone you trust and then at the very least have them be honest and let your doctor closely monitor you? I think your main concern, if you have been unwell, should be your well being. I wish you the very best!!

Hugs!
Sarah

sandtiger replied to slik_kitty's response:
Thanks, Slik....

I'm more worried about not being believed, and about my doc trying to put me on something new ... I don't have a regularly scheduled visit with him until February 21st though, so I think what I'll do is just lay low until I can get indefinite proof of pregnancy (or, of not). Then he won't be *able* to make any changes to my meds (because, bout of mania aside, I feel this is a good balance I'm on now).

~ San

sandtiger replied to monkeybee's response:
Sarah - the 'delusional' part was about the pregnancy. =/

I don't see my pdoc again until the 21st ... my tdoc, who I see this Friday, may try to get me to move it up, but if I leave it where it is, then that will give us both plenty of time to see whether I really am preggo, or whether it's all in my head.

It's not exactly a good thing, if I *am* pregnant, but its not exactly a bad thing, either. Just unexpected, and it will put me in a financial bind for a year or two once the baby's born (daycare costs alone between the baby and my son will be over $550/mo together - that's the cost of my house payment!!).

*sigh*

~ San

bpcookie replied to bpcookie's response:
Never mind the last question. duh. I can be so stupid at times. LOL. So sorry. And I haven't even took any of my wacko pills yet and Im already blabbering non-sense. Forgive my brain pls.
WebMD Health Ambassador, BpCookie

sandtiger replied to bpcookie's response:
LOL, Cookie ... no, honey, with us sometimes, you really DO have to ask ... hehehe

Yes, though. The one and only time other than with my ex, some four years ago (ack!). But since then I've had bodily changes that were the same as when I was pregnant before. As ridiculous as it sounds, for one I've become very gassy (which I RARELY am) and its the knock-you-down-pass-you-out kind. I *felt* the drop of the egg which some people say you can't feel but I did, same as with my first kiddo. There's also a change in my ... well, my poop, that is the same as before, too.

Then there was the bout of mania, which I again, rarely have. I had it at the beginning of my first pregnancy, too, just not as bad.

~ San

bpcookie replied to sandtiger's response:
LMAO re-kock-you-down-pass-out-kind. Sorry to laugh honey, but I feel your pain. lol. I'm perimenopausal and it has really screwed with me. I have gas, my hair is falling out, I get grumpy, then I cry, my face breaks out and I always think that my arm pits smell, but I don't know if thats my imagination or not.

So, lets get back to the pregnancy. Do you know that there is the same number of men who have delusional pregnancies?

I got this info off of a site:

phantom pregnancies', something medically named pseudocyesis , where a women can show the signs of expecting a child (swollen breasts, enlarged abdomen etc) without actually being pregnant.This is not a delusion, as the patient can be well aware that they are not actually pregnant or will accept the possibility that they are not when the results of medical tests come though.

So perhaps your not dilutional. All though I don't know if that helps your problem or not. I can't imagine that you are dilutional but yet know you can't be preggies. You know what I mean?

Here is something else I found:

delusional pregnancy that reports cases of people who, in the context of psychotic mental illness, come to believe they are expecting a child.

Anyways honey, I don't know if that helps. Big hugs and lots of smoochies.

sandtiger replied to bpcookie's response:
Hey honey, I think I put my last comment across wrong when you asked ... I *have* been with *one* guy recently, within the past few weeks. So there is a legitimate chance that I could be, but everywhere I look and all the tests I take say it's far too early to tell for sure.

I'm anxious, just general over-all about it. My days seem so long right now and it seems like the weeks are taking forever to pass. My next cycle should start on or about the 7th of February, so I'll know for SURE then...

It's driving me nuts in the meantime. I'm having obsessive thoughts about it, really, and whenever I get too into thinking about actually *being* pregnant and having to deal with a baby once its born, I get jumpy and twitchy and hyper and ... well, manic-y.

~ San

bpcookie replied to sandtiger's response:
LMAO OMG, San Im so sorry. You have to be perfectly clear with me cause other wise it goes right over my head. So yea, there is a chance that you could be pregnant or maybe your just so worried that your having symptoms . So thats not delusional. Even the blood tests came up saying that it was too early to tell for sure? That sucks. You poor sweetie. Again, Im so sorry for the mix up. muahs

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

Screen out people who can't seem to "get it"....
There are some people who can't or won't understand at all. My wife is bipolar, and some people are more understanding than others. We ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 40 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.