Skip to content

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
What's the newest treatment for bipolar disorder?
Imagineer posted:
I

I try to keep up, but there is so little beyond getting the right meds, sleep regularly, avoid triggers...
But I can swear by yoga. There is also a newish treatment called eye desensitization therapy. The therapist has has a certificate to practice it for there is a lot to it. If you are ruminating on the same topics over and over for a long time...months or years, it can break the habit. In only two sessions perhaps 20% of my obsessive thinking went somewhere where there was no pain. And I didn't know til then that I was still in the rejecting stage of my diagnosis. I didn't know that.
I also highly recommend music. Perhaps songs that are like the feeling you have right now.. then change the songs to something healthy. If you love jazz or Korean or classical or spiritual fill your life with it. Take it with you on a walkman when you walk if you are still troubled when you go for a walk.
Mania. My counselor suggested I hit a ball as hard as I can, but the weather here doesn't permit it often, and I wish, oh how I wish, that I had wood to chop. It would make me fit, get something worthwile done and get rid of my impatience and grief and self sadness/hate and grief.
I highly recommend good sleep, don't change your med without the help of your doctors, do yoga, listen to your favorite music and chop wood. If you need it in the winter, then some sort of light therapy.
Anything I've missed? Acupucture? Never, never ever do hypnosis. You open up everything and you completerly overload and can damage yourself horribly.

WADAW responded:
Any insights on Holistic Treatment of Bipolar Disease? My new psychiatrist practices it.

slik_kitty replied to WADAW's response:
holistic treatment won't work for bipolar. bp is a real chemical imbalance in the brain that requires medication to keep it under control.

sandtiger replied to WADAW's response:
WADAW, do you mean holistic treatments *in addition to* medication? If so, I'd do research into any treatment before doing it, even if your doc recommends it, just to be safe. There are some 'natural' things that you can take, that might not be entirely good for you. Your doc might recommend them, but you know yourself better than your doc does, and sometimes it can be difficult.

If you mean things like meditation and internal healing, that does help ... but like Slik says, you will also need medication. Any other practice must be in Addition to meds, in order to be all-around beneficial.

good luck!
~ San
:: Living is more than just being alive - Anberlin ::

Imagineer replied to sandtiger's response:
There is so much to be careful about. I once had a headcold so terrible that I risked taking a tablespoon of tylenol cold medicine...the next thing I know, the milk is sour, my fingernails were longer and all the cracks in my ceiling were patched.. I lost an entire 6 days. My apartment manager not only had the ceiling cracks patched up, but calking that I don't think I needed and apparently I'd been in the hospital a couple of those days and I'd asked him to change the cat litter... oy..just a tablespoon. At least my bank account hadn't changed or any dents in my car. I imagine myself stumbling around with slurred speech.

The pharmasists where I go are not all that great about being careful of what not to mix. I ask before I get something new.. but I'm not altogether trusting of their approval of over the counter remedies.

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

Patience for the Holidays and every day life
Tips 1. Boredom can make it difficult to be patient. If you're waiting in the doctor's office and the only thing you can concentrate on is ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.