Skip to content

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
What's the newest treatment for bipolar disorder?
Imagineer posted:
I

I try to keep up, but there is so little beyond getting the right meds, sleep regularly, avoid triggers...
But I can swear by yoga. There is also a newish treatment called eye desensitization therapy. The therapist has has a certificate to practice it for there is a lot to it. If you are ruminating on the same topics over and over for a long time...months or years, it can break the habit. In only two sessions perhaps 20% of my obsessive thinking went somewhere where there was no pain. And I didn't know til then that I was still in the rejecting stage of my diagnosis. I didn't know that.
I also highly recommend music. Perhaps songs that are like the feeling you have right now.. then change the songs to something healthy. If you love jazz or Korean or classical or spiritual fill your life with it. Take it with you on a walkman when you walk if you are still troubled when you go for a walk.
Mania. My counselor suggested I hit a ball as hard as I can, but the weather here doesn't permit it often, and I wish, oh how I wish, that I had wood to chop. It would make me fit, get something worthwile done and get rid of my impatience and grief and self sadness/hate and grief.
I highly recommend good sleep, don't change your med without the help of your doctors, do yoga, listen to your favorite music and chop wood. If you need it in the winter, then some sort of light therapy.
Anything I've missed? Acupucture? Never, never ever do hypnosis. You open up everything and you completerly overload and can damage yourself horribly.

Anneinside responded:
The desensitization procedure has been around for many years. The newest thing I have heard about is the use of ketamine for depression. It works quickly but only lasts a few days. It has to be administered in the hospital. It is in testing right now.

jselleck responded:
Welcome to the board Imagineer. Re chopping wood and hitting a ball. I attended an intense outpatient clinic and we would hit a punching bag with a plastic bat whenever things got too intense. Believe you me, it helped tons!!! I can personally attest to that. My husband has even thought about getting one for me. Only problem is we live in a small apartment and don't really have the space for it. Trying to talk management into putting one in the fitness center, but so far it's falling on deaf ears. Cheapskates!!! There's also talk in my area of using magnetic waves to treat depression. I think the treatment is called medstar, but I could be wrong. Personally I don't trust it, but the local news is touting it like it's the next penicillin. Hope this helps. Have a nice day.

JSelleck

Imagineer replied to jselleck's response:
Years ago, I asked my Psychiatrist if he wasn't nervous with all these psychotic people, bipolar 1 included, on the road, driving. He said simply, "no". I do find that when driving I don't get truly hypo-manic or manic or terribly depressed. I do get anxious in heavy traffic, but not horribly. Is it the movement? Would a hammock do any good? Or a waterbed? Any thoughts?

monkeybee replied to Imagineer's response:
My tdoc just asked me to hand over my keys to my husband because I drive recklessly when manic (I normally drive slowly and safely) and I am in the middle of an episode. In the middle of a psychotic episode, I believed I was driving in the clouds. When I'm manic, I don't think about the consequences and I don't always think logically and that can make me a very unsafe driver.

jselleck replied to monkeybee's response:
Monkey, I hear ya!!!! Matt made me agree to give him control of the keys if I ever start to drive again. I've totaled a few too many cars in my life. Especially since being diagnosed.
J

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

Kee pyour head up
Don't let this illness bring you down. Always keep you head to the sky because someone is watching you and I. Sometimes this illness can ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.