Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Includes Expert Content
The Difference between DID and Schizophrenia
ddnos posted:
My sister asked me the difference between Dissociative Disorder (DID) and Schizophrenia, and even though I know they are miles different, I wasn't able to give her a basic, easy answer.

So, I'm asking if there's anyone out there who could answer that question in an easy to understand way and that doesn't necessarily include all the difference of the two, but the main difference(s).

Thanks!

Debbie
Forgiveness is letting go of the hope that the past could have been any different --Unknown

ddnos responded:
bump
Forgiveness is letting go of the hope that the past could have been any different --Unknown

Joseph F Goldberg, MD responded:
Debbie,
Schizophrenia is a form of psychosis in which people have delusions, hallucinations, disorganized form of thinking (eg, illogic, hard to follow the flow of ideas) and also so-called negative symptoms in which they may seem emotionally flat, unengaged, have few thoughts, and seem unexpressive. The mainstay of treatment is antipsychotic medications. DID -- formerly known as multiple personality disorder -- is a controversial diagnosis, sometimes associated with borderline personality disorder. It is believed to be a condition associated with early life traumatic experiences in which people "dissociate" or unconsciously split off different aspects of how they see themselves and create distinct identities, to which they attribute different characteristics. The mainstay of treatment is psychotherapy.

Dr. G.

ddnos replied to Joseph F Goldberg, MD's response:
Wow, Thank you Dr. G.! I'm going to send your answer to my sister! I appreciate it!

Debbie

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

Differentiating bipolar disorder from borderline personality disorderExpert
Borderline personality disorder is a condition in which people can very easily become angry and upset in response to stresses -- especially ... More
Was this Helpful?
109 of 126 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.