Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Includes Expert Content
Child with fever, cold like symptoms, and massive eye swelling
dubsiren posted:
My son is 6 years old. For the past 6 months or so, he has repeatedly had episodes of cold-like symptoms with massive swelling of BOTH eye balls. Usually starts with a fever (100-103), followed by severe runny noise (major sneezing fits and clear, gluey fluid literally pouring from his nose), then comes the eyeball swelling. The eyeball swelling is hard to totally describe accurately. It is bilateral, and happens quickly, usually lasting a full day or two. He gets large bags under his eyes, and the white part of his eyeball (sclera) swells up so much, it bulges around the cornea and makes it look almost flat. There is also slight swelling between his eyes and he gets (I know this will sound horrible) an alien or Pug look to his face.

We have taken him to the doctor multiple times. First they thought he had cellulitis, but he didn't. Then they thought be might be allergic to something, maybe even an allergy to a Virus?

He is in perfect health and the only known medical issue is eczema on his wrists and legs occasionally.

Any help or ideas are greatly appreciated!!

Joseph F Goldberg, MD responded:
Dear dubsiren,

Your son's medical problems don't sound psychiatric. I'm not sure if WebMD has a pediatric site where there may be expertise to be found. I might wonder though if he has had an imaging study (eg, MRI) since clear fluid pouring from his nose would mean one would want to be sure that isn't cerebrospinal fluid and that there isn't a congenital malformation causing increased intracranial pressure (bulging eyes) and the soft tissue swelling around his orbits that you describe.

Better than a website, though, may be having a consultation with a pediatric opthalmologist or pediatric neurologist. This doesn't sound like the domain of an average pediatrician (much less psychiatrist!).

Dr. G.

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

Differentiating bipolar disorder from borderline personality disorderExpert
Borderline personality disorder is a condition in which people can very easily become angry and upset in response to stresses -- especially ... More
Was this Helpful?
107 of 124 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.