Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
What diagnoses has done to me
An_250441 posted:
Here I am 31 years old. I have a Criminal Justice degree and attending school for Paralegal studies. Today, I want to share my story. How I have been discriminated against and how I have been treated unfai because of this diagnoses.

Well it all started in 2001, while I was attending John Jay college in NY. While I was attending John Jay I started to get parnoid one day. Mostly because of the war with Iraq.

I was in hospitals on and off until 2009. I went into SERV in 2009 and had a high rent payment of 450.00 which came out of my disability check which is a low amount as it is. I now have a low credit score because of that rent payment and not being able to pay my bills.

Thankfully, my mom has let me lived with her since 2010. However, I have a degree and still haven't found a job and I have been graduated from school since 2007.

And lately, I have grown more and more angry because I have worked very hard to achieve my degree. First off I went to DVR and they basically have told me that I am worthless by not calling me back. Its been since October and they still haven't called me. I have called and called and I get the same response "I will put your name on her desk". Than the other day on the phone the Neptune supervisor explained to me that my degree is a very hard degree to work with? OK. First off I can do many things with a degree in Criminal Justice. Their is something called other state jobs other than police work. Why for instance can't I become a case worker? Yeah well I figured out why this is-BECAUSE THEY DON'T WANT TO BE MY COWORKER. ANOTHER WORDS THEY DON'T WANT TO WORK IN THE SAME OFFICE AS I DO BECAUSE I HAVE A MENTAL ILLNESS! ISNT THIS DISCRIMINATION????

I count the days that I am jobless because of this mental illness. Its unfair and unjust. Were suppose to be the Untied States of America right? Yea well why don't I feel freedom?

This disorder has ruined my life. Open your shell and see what diagnoses does to someone!

bpcookie responded:
Yup, the U.S. claims we are free but not if your mentally ill. There is a post that someone wrote not long ago and many of us replied to it and voiced our opinions and also our anger. Its title is *So What Do You All Think*. You may want to take a look at it.
WebMD Health Ambassador, BpCookie

sandtiger responded:
I'm sorry you've had such a rough time of it. The only suggestion I can think of is to keep trying.

Almost all of us here have been diagnosed, either quietly or openly, or have family members who have been. Not everyone faces as much stigma as you feel you are under. To some (like me) it has been a relief and a stepping stone - or a safety net, when things fall apart.

Hope things go better for you soon,
~ San
:: Living is more than just being alive - Anberlin ::

ddnos responded:
Employers do a background check, and if they see that you've been in and out of the hospital off and until 2009 (for however many years) then the employer has every right to look at that history to decide not to hire you based on that. I don't think that is discrimination any more than not hiring someone else for a criminal history, even though they are both totallydifferent. An employer needs to hire someone he/she can depend on, and if a potential employee has a long history of hospitalizations and periods of not being able to work due to mental illness, then hiring that person would be a huge risk to the company. It may not always be or feel fair, but I personally believe the employer has the right to choose between someone who has proven to be stable and someone who has not.

Your history should not forever keep you from getting a job, but unless you get a luck break, your history has to be behind you a bit longer and your current stability has to be evident for a while before anyone will hire you. It doesn't matter how many degrees you have or how good you are at what you do, if you are not currently stable, then as an employer, I would hire someone who is not only qualified, but who is stable as well, and whith whom I can count on.

So I would focus your time and effort and improving your mental health so that when the time comes for you to get a job, you will be ready - not just accademically, but emotionally and mentally. You don't have to tell them about your menal illness unless you need specific accommodations. As you know, there is no doubt a stigma against people with mental illness, so we can't let them get the upper hand and teach them that we can work just as high quality as anyone without a mental illness. Don't let them hire "us" and then by our behavior, prove to them they were right, you know? We can rise above the stigma and prove them wrong, one person at a time!

And don't assume that you were not hired somewhere because of your mental illness. Unless they specifically tell you that, you don't know it for sure. It may look like it, but that's just perception and assumption - not fact.

You don't have to be jobless forever if you don't want to be. You need to rise above your mental illness and tell as little people on the job about it unless you absolutely have to. It's not necessary to tell anyone.

Contact http://askjan.org/ it's an organization called JAN, which s tands for Job Accommodations Network, and you can email or call them for free to ask them about this very topic. They are a good organization.

Good luck

Debbie
Forgiveness is letting go of the hope that the past could have been any different --Unknown

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

TO DROP MY WEIGHT, I DROPPED THE DIET SOFT DRINKS.
Been on Zonegran for about five years and a type II diabetic for 35 years using metaformin and insulin. It appears the jury is in for me on ... More
Was this Helpful?
6 of 10 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.