Skip to content

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Includes Expert Content
Dr. G: Abilify question
monkeybee posted:
Hi Dr. G.

I read a post you commented on last week that mentioned low vs high doses of Abilify. I am currently taking 20 mg of Abilify daily and don't think my doctor intends to change that. I am also pregnant. Is the dosage ok? How about for long term maintenance? Should I ask him more detailed questions about how I am taking this medicine or is it fine the way it is?

Thank you,
Sarah

Joseph F Goldberg, MD responded:
Dear Sarah, Abilify is usually dosed based on symptom types and severity. As an add-on to antidepressants, 5-10 mg seems optimal. In bipolar mania, 15-30 mg/day is customary. Restlessness (akathisia) is dose-related, so, 20 mg/day may be entirely appropriate if no side effects (or if side effects are present, they're manageable). In pregnancy, one tries to minimize the number of drugs to which a fetus is being exposed and to use the lowest effective dose, without skimping on efficacy. It would be important to discuss with your doctor how your dose was chosen and have him answer any questions you might have about long- term projections (eg, risk for tardive dyskinesia), whether he envisions using a traditional mood stabilizer instead of an antipsychotic for long-term relapse prevention, etc. Dr. G.

monkeybee replied to Joseph F Goldberg, MD's response:
Thank you Dr. G.

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

Patience for the Holidays and every day life
Tips 1. Boredom can make it difficult to be patient. If you're waiting in the doctor's office and the only thing you can concentrate on is ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.