Skip to content

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Im not Bipolar? Its more of a question?
An_249865 posted:
I'm not by bipolar, I'm just a normal teenager overreacting about everything. I keep telling myself this, but I know its just a lie. For years, ever since I can remember I've been depressed, even as a little kid. Now I'm 16 years old, and been struggling with mood changes for about 2 years.... but its gotten much worse this last year. I can not explain what I feel to anyone, mostly because I'm ashamed. I don't want attention focused on me.

I can described my symptoms, but their not normal for bipolar, depression, etc...

Normal Mode:
Um I don't know what normal is? Its rare that I feel normal... how am I supposed to feel?

Both Moods:
- Over/Under Sleeping
- Headache SEVERE
- Confused... not knowing who I am
- Anxious
- Body Shacking
- Paranoid (mild)
- Delusions & Halusinations
- Irritability

Depression:
- Poor Self motivation/ esteme
- Crying for no reason

Mania: or "happy"?
- Very sexual, over confidence, flirty, load > the reason I'm pointing out these symptoms is because I'm a very quiet person with no self esteem and honestly I act like a different person
- Obsessed with not eating and loosing weight. I have to lose weight... something I think comes from the first symptom that encourages this one
- load and obnoxious, excessive talking
- I feel confused and the want to do risky things. Jumping of a building... not to kill myself.... just for the rush? I have though about doing multiple times but have not gone to that extent
- Poor coordination... also in depression but more in manic

I can somewhat control it? The manic is hard to control. Its very noticeable but can be managed with just saying I'm just in a great mood today.

Mania can last for 1 week. One time it lasted 2 weeks, which was bad.
Sometimes I have on and of depression and mania - my mood just changes from happy to sad with in seconds.
Depression, mostly all the time except during manic.

So I don't know.... is this just me overreacting?

slik_kitty responded:
welcome to the board. the only person who can tell you if you are bipolar or not is a psychiatrist. since you are 16 you will have to tell your parents so you can get an appt and get evaluated. it also wouldn't hurt to have a physical with a regular doc to rule out anything else first.

RevengeVN replied to slik_kitty's response:
I don't see that happening... I guess I'm just trying to ask if someone else out their feels the same as me...

They ruled out anything with the brain, had an MRI done. As well as blood work and all that stuff several months ago.

The only reason I'm posting this is because, when I've been in my mood swings... a person jokeigly made a coment.

ddnos replied to RevengeVN's response:
....but it would be good for you to see a psychiatrist regardless if that was your intention to see if indeed you DO have bipolar because if you do, then you will need medication to treat it. Your problems and symptoms you described will only get worse without meds if you have bipolar. So I would think you'd want to get that checked out -especially while you are still young so as to get it under control sooner than later. Think about it, eh?

Debbie
Forgiveness is letting go of the hope that the past could have been any different --Unknown

RevengeVN replied to ddnos's response:
Maybe I'll wait till I'm older. As of now its somewhat under control... or just hidden.

ddnos replied to RevengeVN's response:
Maybe it would be good for you to re-read your original post and then say honestly if that is "under control" or not, huh?

There's no shame in having a diagnosis of bipolar, if that's what you have - but whatever is going on for you, it's best to get on top of it sooner than later because believe me, it will be harder to deal with it if you put it off until you are older. Just something to think about.

Debbie
Forgiveness is letting go of the hope that the past could have been any different --Unknown

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

Kee pyour head up
Don't let this illness bring you down. Always keep you head to the sky because someone is watching you and I. Sometimes this illness can ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.